Correct rear axle gear oil?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351, FMX, A/C (well, parts of it anyways!)
1971 Mach 1, 351, FMX
1965 Convertible, 289, 4-speed
Hello,

My 73 convertible is coming along nicely, just added a set of KYB gas shocks and looking forward to a long test ride. But I've got a question on the proper rear oil. It's coded as a "2" which is a 2.75 conventional rear axle. When I first got the car running last summer I had a shop drain the rear end and they replaced it with GL5 80/90 oil. Is this correct?

I'll be taking her for her first 300+ mile drive in a week or so and want to make sure she's ready for it.

Thanks,

Scott

that should be fine for a peg leg rear end. If it is a track lock, it would need an additive, but it would almost have to be a replacement to be a track lock rear end
Thanks Jeff. I was reading something about the original requirement being GL6 but noticed they had replaced mine with GL5. Not sure of the difference.

Scott

from Eaton

"What kind of oil should I use? Can I use synthetic? Do I need friction additive/modifier?

A quality petroleum/mineral based oil works best in the Detroit Locker units. We do not recommend synthetic oil. Friction additive/modifier is not required."

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Automotive/AutomotiveAftermarket/Differentials/FAQforDifferentials/

I personally would run synthetic-detriot lockers don't use clutches, but their mechanical bits are under a pretty heavy load.

Last edited by a moderator:
that should be fine for a peg leg rear end. If it is a track lock, it would need an additive, but it would almost have to be a replacement to be a track lock rear end
Could have the 2.75 traction lock from the factory - mine does and confirmed by Marti.

Could have the 2.75 traction lock from the factory - mine does and confirmed by Marti.
Marti and the tag on the rear end both confirm the conventional 2.75. :-(

well I have been educated here. I won't make that mistake again! Watch for my next exciting and spectacular failure. ;)
So what is the proper additive for the traction loc? It is obviously working well now as proven by hard launches, wet roads, and curves :)

Back