Correct way to reinstall the rear window?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mexican

Reaction score
My Car
71 mustang grande
Took the rear window out to treat a pin hole letting water in the trunk, fixed it and treated the little rusty spot and cleaned all the gunk, got the new seal ready and started to re install it but i stopped to think for a second;

Do i need all that gunk or glass glue even tho i have a rubber seal? whoever installed the window last time made a big mess, he left spots under the rubber gasket where water got trapped and caused corrossion, i took the glass to a glass guy and he said the car came from the factory with a rubber seal only and no silicone, i have it installed but not siliconed, is it correct??

Thanks!!

Lupe

The 1971 shop manual, 43-06-01, calls out using butyl tape, liquid butyl sealer, and a weather strip. The tape locates the glass and the liquid sealer seals the glass. Chuck

You need to find a glass guy that has worked on older cars. What he told you was wrong. With just the gasket it will leak between the gasket and body and between the gasket and window.

I would also be concerned with it popping out when driving down the freeway without the sealer.

Holy chit!!!! ok, will locate a guy that knows what he is doing, would hate to kill somebody down the road! thanks for the advise guys

\

Lupe, If you are in or near OKC, Gary Medley owns 66 Auto Glass, does GREAT work, specializes in collector cars, and will come to you. I've used him several times with great results every time. His phone is 405 614 5564. Tell Chuck Spaulding in Mustang, with a white 72 Mach 1 sent you. Good luck, Chuck

Lupe, If you are in or near OKC, Gary Medley owns 66 Auto Glass, does GREAT work, specializes in collector cars, and will come to you. I've used him several times with great results every time. His phone is 405 614 5564. Tell Chuck Spaulding in Mustang, with a white 72 Mach 1 sent you. Good luck, Chuck
I sure will, i live in Tulsa but i don't mind taking my mustang to OKC for a correct job:)

Back