Cracked 351 Cleveland Heads

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I laugh at your idiocy! Seriously, all that data comes from people trying to sell you there better versions. 4V heads work fine on the street with the right rear end ratio, a proper camshaft, and 10-1 compression or better. With a mismatch of any of these you will have complaints. But that is pretty much true of any engine.

I laugh at your idiocy!  Seriously, all that data comes from people trying to sell you there better versions.  4V heads work fine on the street with the right rear end ratio, a proper camshaft, and 10-1 compression or better.  With a mismatch of any of these you will have complaints.  But that is pretty much true of any engine.
Laugh away....you just made my point again for me in a roundabouts way.

As an M code owner, with a C6, stock torque converter and 3.73 rear end, I have to disagree with anyone that says 351C 4Vs are not any good on the street. As far as I'm concerned it's a myth propogated by the bow-tie crowd. My car has plenty of bottom end, and of course plenty of top end. I have seen many Dyno charts that back this up. Here's one example

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/1510-dyno-shootout-boss-302-vs-351/

As long as you know my insulting tone is only in jest.  100 ways to skin a cat- but wtf do you do with the cat skin?
Thanks Jeff, I wasn't sure if you were serious or not, so I was kinda bummed that my good intentioned post was being shot at.  The Internet is like that you know, things can be hard to tell how it's meant in type. We're good.

Barnett 468,

1. Yes ,...…..the Factory 4v heads ARE too big for the street...

2. ...and there's lots of proof,

3. Back in the sixties and seventies head porters just hogged the ports out to whatever maximum shape they could...

4. ...at the same time, there wasn't any available knowledge regarding flow along the port roof, or the port floor.

5. Flow benches today, don't pull any punches, and 4v headed Cleveland owners are getting more power by restricting the 4v's ports.

6. I don't make this stuff up..

7. ...and I have nothing to gain by bullshitting anyone here...

8. ...or at work.

9. Just to feed anyone's interest here, I am attaching a couple of pages from an information sheet from another company, and I am in no way affiliated with them, however their info reinforces what I've said here.
Well, here are some REAL FACTS for you.

1. For the SECOND time, no they are not.

2. No there isn't.

3. You were referring to stock ports and now you are talking about porting stock heads which is completely irrelevant to your previous inaccurate statement.

4. Wrong again because Ford was one of the first mfg's to use a flow bench to develop some heads starting around the mid 60's. The used it to develop their heads and intake for their Lemans winning GT40 cars and they did in fact use it to develop the 4V Cleveland and BOSS 302 heads.

5. No they aren't.

6. Then you have obviously fallen for some type of marketing hype because it is blatantly obvious that you are NOT a professional engine builder like I and some others here are, and understand absolutely ZERO abut what you are stating.

7. But you have a lot to loose like credibility by making these grossly inaccurate statements.

8. Well I for one would fire you if you worked for me and said these ridiculous things.

9. That's xln't, at least you know how to copy and paste!

Last edited by a moderator:
468…….Bigfoot's original question was in reference to replacing his cracked heads on a stock 351 2v. I feel I'm right on track with advising he stay with what he'd been running , given the engine is basically a stocker, with an automatic, likely fwy gears and a/c. I took no potshots at you,..... why you don't feel considerate enough to do the same for me is very disappointing. And yes, I DO build engines professionally for a living, call (818) 993 7000 ,8:30 to 5:00, Mon thru Fri Los Angeles time, the company has been doing performance cylinder heads and engines since 1965 .

1. 468…….Bigfoot's original question was in reference to replacing his cracked heads on a stock 351 2v.  I feel I'm right on track with advising he stay with what he'd been running , given the engine is basically a stocker, with an automatic, likely fwy gears and a/c.

2. I took no potshots at you,

3. ..... why you don't feel considerate enough to do the same for me is very disappointing.  

4. And yes, I DO build engines professionally for a living,

5. call (818) 993 7000

6. the company has been doing performance cylinder heads and engines since 1965 .
1. Nobody said you were not.

2. You contradicted my factual statement by reasserting your inaccurate one.

3. I was not inconsiderate. I merely posted FACTS, and not misguided "opinions" posited as "facts"s like you did. It is not my problem if you interpreted them to be something else.

4. There are many people that build engines that have very limited knowledge like you have proven you do by continuing to incorrectly insist that 4V heads are too big for a street engine, then went on to inaccurately claim that nobody had knowledge of port flow in the 60's etc. Just because someone may pay you to assemble engines, it does NOT mean that you are a professional engine builder.

5. I don't want to waste thirty five cents calling a shop just to verify that they have an employee that has no idea what he is talking about.

6. Thanks for the tip but I'll just stick to using crappy old AFR's and CHI's whenever I need to, and if I build another high perf cleveland with factory 4V heads, I will just send them out to have the ports made even BIGGER, lol.

PS - Nobody that has posted agrees with your "opinion" that factory 4V heads are too big for the street, and your last post provides no new information or suggestions that are related to the op's issue.

Back