Cruise O Matic Transmission problems.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyBeng

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1

1972 Mustang Mach 1

1972 Mustang Coupe
Hello, new member, long time visitor here.

I recently bought a 1971 Mustang Mach 1 installed with a 429 engine and transmission from a 1968 Thunderbird, Cruise-O-Matic I believe. The transmission was rebuilt and worked for a while until recently. The tranny goes into neutral and reverse, but won't go into drive. I already dropped the pan and checked the linkage but nothing. It seems like it wants to go into drive while turning the lever, but it won't engage fully. I am young and not a very skilled mechanic at all lol, so I was hoping someone could have an answer on here for me. ( I searched the web and I cannot find anything.) Thanks in advanced, appreciation to all who reply.

Andrew

I am not expert but I have seen similar problem on a different forum like this,

solutions were:

1- Topping off your transmission fluid, even if you check the level on the dipstick and its normal, try topping it off.

2- Draining and flushing that old fluid out and replacing the filter are a good idea.

Another solution was:

Hard internal seals in the drums. Requires a full tear down of the trans for a proper rebuild.

another post says it may be the torque converter

Last edited by a moderator:
When you say it won't go into drive do you mean that the shift lever won't go into drive, or the transmission won't engage when the shifter is in drive?

I would check the linkage adjustment and re-adjust it according to the service manual. The adjustment has been discussed many times in this forum and you can search for them in search box in the upper right corner of this page.

does the transmission go into gear manually, when you put the shifter in 1 or 2 does it engage?(putting it into D1,D2,L)

if you put it in L and the trans locks up then you could have fused clutches.

if nothing happens in other gears then it could be linkage, low fluid, or a seal could be blown inside not allowing pressure to build to hold the forward clutch assembly.

I think you missed the part of the forum rules that shows a big block Mustang must have pictures posted before any help is given? :)
Indeed, we cannot forgive this transgression, therefore you must post a picture of both your car and an attractive, scantily clad girl driving a Chevrolet-cause I like stupid girls

When you say it won't go into drive do you mean that the shift lever won't go into drive, or the transmission won't engage when the shifter is in drive?

I would check the linkage adjustment and re-adjust it according to the service manual. The adjustment has been discussed many times in this forum and you can search for them in search box in the upper right corner of this page.
The shift lever won't go into drive. It goes into neutral and reverse, but will not go into drive. It's like it hit hitting something making it stop. It barely moves like it wants to go into drive, but it just won't. Thanks for the replies. I will try and get pics up when I find the time (At school now lol.)

Andrew

The shift lever won't go into drive. It goes into neutral and reverse, but will not go into drive. It's like it hit hitting something making it stop. It barely moves like it wants to go into drive, but it just won't. Thanks for the replies. I will try and get pics up when I find the time (At school now lol.)

Andrew
With the car NOT RUNNING and properly blocked

Remove the pin for the linkage

Move the lever on the trans by hand

It should move 5 clicks - either way

If it does than the issue is probably linkage or shifter

A worn shifter [ very wobbly ] can cause issues hitting the safety stops

Don

Andrew
With the car NOT RUNNING and properly blocked

Remove the pin for the linkage

Move the lever on the trans by hand

It should move 5 clicks - either way

If it does than the issue is probably linkage or shifter

A worn shifter [ very wobbly ] can cause issues hitting the safety stops

Don
Moving the lever by hand, it only moves 2 clicks and then won't fully move the 3rd time (Drive). It is like it is hitting something in the tranny body.

Andrew

Sounds like the internal linkage was not assembled properly. Don't have my manuals here at work, but I found some images on the web that should help...

kickdown_diagram_zps7af53ea1.jpg

cruiseomatic06.jpg

Thank you all very much for taking time out to help me. I greatly appreciate it. You guys make this site amazing and a very wonderful place to want to come and search things out and ask questions. Thank You!!!!!

Andrew

Andrew, did you ever figure out what was causing your transmission to stick? One of my cars is a 1963 Galaxie 500 with the Cruise O Matic and the same thing is happening to me. It was shifting into all gears last month but when I tried to start it yesterday, it would only shift from park to reverse. I cannot get it to shift into any forward gears.

Sounds like the internal linkage was not assembled properly. Don't have my manuals here at work, but I found some images on the web that should help...

kickdown_diagram_zps7af53ea1.jpg

cruiseomatic06.jpg
I recently ran into a similar issue when replacing the shift lever on a C4. The lower end of the equivalent part 7A115 (from the diagram) was mislocated. Popping it back into place fixed the problem.

Back