Crusing the boulevard

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh my God yes, "street freaks' were a thing for an entire era. The cars eventually became more and more valuable, and modifying to that level, or cutting a big hole in your valuable hood, became almost blasphamy. That was surely a flashy era.
I love the red '68 442, that's what mine looked like except black, and much bigger tires. I had the polished Hilborn style scoop on my carbs instead of the velocity stacks though. In my defense of cutting the hood, the '68 442's did not have a special hood all of the Cutlass's had those two chrome vent hoods that year. I really wish I was able to keep a couple of the cars I built in my late teens and early twenties. Some of them like that 442 were a lot of fun. My girl friend at the time called it the "hyperspace car" which she thought was a compliment. What she was actually referring to was, because I never got the carbs set up right, it bogged badly on tip in acceleration. What you could noticeably see when I got on it was the headlights drop and aim at the ground when it bogged and the headlights coming up and aim at the sky when it actually took off, and then you would feel that pushed back into the seat feeling. She would say it felt like she imagined a spaceship would feel like going into hyperspace in the movies, LOL.

Last edited:
Me in 86 about to get in the limo for prom…..
Nice.. I wasn't that smart. Here is a picture of me in '82 about to get in to my Mustang for prom. My girl friend wasn't happy squeezing her big prom dress in to the Mustang and worrying about getting it caught in the door. I did spring for the limo for her prom the next weekend, though.

I loved those pinstripes that I added, I could never leave well enough alone. Notice the Bandit T/A type pinstripe on the edge of the mirror? I am thinking of copying those upper body line pinstripes again on my '71, maybe even the mirror stripe:unsure:.

Attachments

• 73 Mach 1 14.jpg
    73 Mach 1 14.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Funny thing about what you just said. If what I've read is correct, Mustangs outsold Camaro by a wide margin. But you're right, it always seemed like there weren't enough Ford cars represented, although there were some nice ones. Mine were always nice inside , outside, and under the hood. I had a GTOJudge, a W-30 442, a '66 Shelby GT-350, a Model A, a chopped '34 Ford coupe hot rod. They were ALL sharp. I built them and kept them that way. I wasn't rich, but I had cars nicer or better than most of the Chevy guys, Other cars, done right stand out more than common cars. Don't get me wrong, there are some really nice Chevys around, but my thinking is, "why sleep with the girl everyone else has slept with?" PS, it looks like there's a 69-70 body style mustang in the background in that photo above.
I think the problem is the aftermarket catered to chevy first and the ford and mopar afterwards. Also the parts were cheaper for chevys and if you wanted the best parts for fords you had to find the places that specialized in fords which wasn’t so easy without the internet. The Chevy guys hated it when going up against a built ford. I had a friend who had a ss396 chevelle. My Torino Cobra kicked ass on his car. He was one of those devout chevy lovers and couldn’t stand to have a ford beat him. He put a crane cam in, a edlebrock intake, a holley 750, shift kit in the th400, a 3.73 posi, and lastly ladder bars. Even though I spun my tires through 1st gear and some of 2nd, I still beat him by several car lengths. He was livid and I was laughing all the way home. At that time, my scj 429 was long gone and my engine was a .030 over 460 with standard closed chamber heads, a factory SCJ cam, stock scj intake with a 850 holley, hooker headers, close ratio 4 spd, 4.11 traction lock and my tires were old L60x15’s

Nice.. I wasn't that smart. Here is a picture of me in '82 about to get in to my Mustang for prom. My girl friend wasn't happy squeezing her big prom dress in to the Mustang and worrying about getting it caught in the door. I did spring for the limo for her prom the next weekend, though.

I loved those pinstripes that I added, I could never leave well enough alone. Notice the Bandit T/A type pinstripe on the edge of the mirror? I am thinking of copying those upper body line pinstripes again on my '71, maybe even the mirror stripe:unsure:.
I almost ran the black up the scallop when I rattle canned mine. tops of the fenders, hood and rockers would be black. sides blue. decided against it and just the rockers are black so far

My view is grey hair is better than NO hair 😜
My mom's side of the family all of the men were bald by thirty, on my Dad's side the men all had white hair by thirty five. I have my hair and there is very little gray at all at 59. My younger brother who had lost all of his hair on top and the rest turned white by thirty five, always reminds me that I owe him because he took two bullets for me, LOL.

My mom's side of the family all of the men were bald by thirty, on my Dad's side the men all had white hair by thirty five. I have my hair and there is very little gray at all at 59. My younger brother who had lost all of his hair on top and the rest turned white by thirty five, always reminds me that I owe him because he took two bullets for me, LOL.

Hmmm. Just curious. Do you know the genetic history of your mailman?

Back