Crusing the boulevard

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much I'd give to find a photo of me, my long, feathered blonde hair in high school Mach 1 from '77.
Now, I too am "dolphin smooth".
Half of mine was lost due to genetics...the rest was on porpoise.

Half of mine was lost due to genetics...the rest was on porpoise.
I actually didn't "lose" my hair. I know where it is.

It's in the sheets, on the floor, the drains...

I actually didn't "lose" my hair. I know where it is.

It's in the sheets, on the floor, the drains...
I still had long hair, below my shoulder blades, but the top was thin. So, one day I decided enough was enough. Having it long and keeping it in ponytail was just another version of a comb-over. A friend was a barber and always hassled me about 'when he was going to cut it off'. Once I told him to, he changed his tune. I had to twist his arm. Then I told him to shave what was left.
When I left was when I found out just how cold a bald head gets on a 70 degree day. Didn't tell my wife and she was on vacation.
Funny thing was everyone said I looked ten years younger.

The best part about long hair? Girls just love to braid it! My friends had flat-tops, mohawks, or were bald. I had long flowing Fabio hair. Sometimes in a French braid thanks to the twins, Katie and Colleen.

When I left was when I found out just how cold a bald head gets on a 70 degree day.
The Lord saw fit to bless me with a bad head of hair, but a good head of bone!

Cold is one thing, because eventually it just gets numb. But until you repeatedly bang, scrape or cut your unprotected pate on something, as we wrenchers often do, you have no idea how a head of hair protects you from slight, yet bloody injuries. I wear a beanie when sticking my head into danger zones.

The Lord saw fit to bless me with a bad head of hair, but a good head of bone!

Cold is one thing, because eventually it just gets numb. But until you repeatedly bang, scrape or cut your unprotected pate on something, as we wrenchers often do, you have no idea how a head of hair protects you from slight, yet bloody injuries. I wear a beanie when sticking my head into danger zones.
I know! And the scalp bleeds a lot!

...to connect this to Spike's topic....the ponytail and braids were absolutely necessary when cruising in my 70 Mustang. Since it had a black vinyl interior and no A/C, Fabio hair did not work well with the necessity of windows down most of the time. In August, it was great for an hour, then you were soaked with sweat. After two hours...nappy headed and itchy butt syndrome. But I looked cool...

1970 Mustang.jpg

Beautiful car, really like the color. I want to get a good look at under the hood. Being an "engine guy" myself, it's the details that can make or break the overall picture. Most Cleveland manifolding is kinda too obvious an adaptation. Just my taste here, but the phony sidepipes need to go. It also appears that the front tire is a larger diameter than the rear, maybe it isn't, but stance seems precarious. Thumbs up to that guy though. Really makes me want to "huff" mine.

I colour old b&w photos for a hobby, here is my coloured interpretation of the original pic that Spike posted.

View attachment 85387
Hope you don’t mind but I printed and hung in my shop this photo - good job and love the cool vibe we youngsters had back then. Was that close to an OEM blue - it’s awesome. Wish I had a pic of me sitting on my hood in the day.

Hope you don’t mind but I printed and hung in my shop this photo - good job and love the cool vibe we youngsters had back then. Was that close to an OEM blue - it’s awesome. Wish I had a pic of me sitting on my hood in the day.

Heck no, I don't mind, if somebody says they are hanging up a photo that I've added colour to then it usually means I have done a decent job with the colouring! For this one I actually pulled a 1972 Mustang colour chart from the web and placed it next to the photo while I was working on it to try and get an appropriate colour tone for the cars. I don't know what colours these cars actually were, but I knew I was going to make the main one yellow because mine is yellow.
I'll also be putting an enlarged copy of the photo on my garage wall above my car.

Heck no, I don't mind, if somebody says they are hanging up a photo that I've added colour to then it usually means I have done a decent job with the colouring! For this one I actually pulled a 1972 Mustang colour chart from the web and placed it next to the photo while I was working on it to try and get an appropriate colour tone for the cars. I don't know what colours these cars actually were, but I knew I was going to make the main one yellow because mine is yellow.
I'll also be putting an enlarged copy of the photo on my garage wall above my car.
Grabber blue would be a cool color for this

Grabber blue would be a cool color for this
Yesssss - as that's what color I plan painting mine - though that blue in the photo now is pretty sweet!

Can you put my head on one dude, with long, feathered blonde hair? 🤣

Last edited:
You know, I work at The Blower Shop. Everyday I see, and sell, all sorts of brand new and rebuilt Roots blowers, and all the components to install them. A blown car with induction poking out of the hood just has the power, the look, and the sound, of pure hot rodding. I really haven't seen a real good installation of a blower sticking out of the hood on a '71-'73 Sportsroof or Mach 1 on any internet postings. If I weren't the owner of such a nice stock Mach, I would be soooooooo tempted to "huff" that Cleveland!
Here is my blown Cleveland.

Attachments

• 181996839_10159940837679523_885428956982033250_n.jpg
    181996839_10159940837679523_885428956982033250_n.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 0
Back