Crusing the boulevard

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spike Morelli

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 ram air 351c H-code, fmx, ps,pb, medium yellow-gold, hubcaps and beauty rings.
A photographer caught a couple of Mustang owners crusing Van Nuys Blvd, back when their Mach 1s were brand new. Pristene hardware there boys...

Attachments

• Van-Nuys-Boulevard-1972-11-of-52.jpg
    Van-Nuys-Boulevard-1972-11-of-52.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 7
I love the old pictures and the days of my youth. I like watching old tv shows, mostly so I can spot the cars. I recall cruising the Renton loop. Sizing up the competition that would be at the street drags later in the night. There was always more chevy’s, they were more plentiful and cheaper to buy and build. I remember a friend of a friend had a 71, maybe a 72. It was grabber blue with a 351. Other then the sleek lines of the sports roof, the thing that really stuck was when I sat in the car, looking out through the windshield and the high dashboard made it feel like the cockpit of a plane, I that was soooo cool. I was just 16 at the time, didn’t know a lot about the mechanical stuff then, but I sure knew what I liked and what was cool. Back then it had to be 2dr hardtop or a convertible. After the early-mid 70’s, cars sucked and eventually the newer generation started hopping up 4dr rice burners. Life as a I knew it was over. Nowadays, what they call street racing is a bunch of dumbass kids doing doughnuts and sometimes shooting at each other.

There was always more chevy’s, they were more plentiful and cheaper to buy and build.
Funny thing about what you just said. If what I've read is correct, Mustangs outsold Camaro by a wide margin. But you're right, it always seemed like there weren't enough Ford cars represented, although there were some nice ones. Mine were always nice inside , outside, and under the hood. I had a GTOJudge, a W-30 442, a '66 Shelby GT-350, a Model A, a chopped '34 Ford coupe hot rod. They were ALL sharp. I built them and kept them that way. I wasn't rich, but I had cars nicer or better than most of the Chevy guys, Other cars, done right stand out more than common cars. Don't get me wrong, there are some really nice Chevys around, but my thinking is, "why sleep with the girl everyone else has slept with?" PS, it looks like there's a 69-70 body style mustang in the background in that photo above.

PS, it looks like there's a 69-70 body style mustang in the background in that photo above.
Yep. 70 Mach1. Still my favorite year/model/body.

I remember seeing this on the street. It got a magazine article written too.
I was always a fan of the street freaks! I liked them better with tunnel rams or blowers sticking out of the hood, though. Back in the early 80's, I built a "kind of street freak" (no front straight axle) 68 442, it had a worn out 455 when I bought it. As I was going through the engine, a friend of a friend offered me a good deal on a dual quad tunnel ram, complete with Holley carbs and throttle linkage. I built the engine for the intake and carbs and painted the car 99L Imron, about the blackest black you can get. I had 15x10 polished aluminum slots with N50s on the back and matching 15x8's with 60's in the front. Under the hood the fresh Oldsmobile gold engine with the polished tunnel ram and chrome accents really popped. I never did get that thing to run right, but man did it look sinister. I never got challenged, because of the engine sticking out of the hood and the lobe of the cam, it looked and sounded fast as hell. Truth be told, if I had just built it with a normal intake and single quad and set it up right it would have been faster, lol.

Last edited:
Nobody is smiling in the picture. If I had those Mustangs I would be grinning from ear to ear.
Back in 72 I had a 69 Z28 and my brother had a 70 Boss 302 we had a lot of fun and kept our guardian angels busy.

Oh my God yes, "street freaks' were a thing for an entire era. The cars eventually became more and more valuable, and modifying to that level, or cutting a big hole in your valuable hood, became almost blasphamy. That was surely a flashy era.

Attachments

• &0 mustabg street machine.jpg
    &0 mustabg street machine.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 55 Chevy 70s street style.jpg
    55 Chevy 70s street style.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 71 Camaro street machine.jpg
    71 Camaro street machine.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 1
  • 179721841350155436o1QdhiVOc.jpg
    179721841350155436o1QdhiVOc.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Olds 442 &0s street machine.jpg
    Olds 442 &0s street machine.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Roadrunner 70s style.jpg
    Roadrunner 70s style.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 2
You know, I work at The Blower Shop. Everyday I see, and sell, all sorts of brand new and rebuilt Roots blowers, and all the components to install them. A blown car with induction poking out of the hood just has the power, the look, and the sound, of pure hot rodding. I really haven't seen a real good installation of a blower sticking out of the hood on a '71-'73 Sportsroof or Mach 1 on any internet postings. If I weren't the owner of such a nice stock Mach, I would be soooooooo tempted to "huff" that Cleveland!

You know, I work at The Blower Shop. Everyday I see, and sell, all sorts of brand new and rebuilt Roots blowers, and all the components to install them. A blown car with induction poking out of the hood just has the power, the look, and the sound, of pure hot rodding. I really haven't seen a real good installation of a blower sticking out of the hood on a '71-'73 Sportsroof or Mach 1 on any internet postings. If I weren't the owner of such a nice stock Mach, I would be soooooooo tempted to "huff" that Cleveland!
A while back, there was one posted up on the Clevelands Forever facebook group. It looked really good to my untrained eyes. The car, itself, looked a lot like TonyMuscle's. I'll see if I can find the pic.

A while back, there was one posted up on the Clevelands Forever facebook group. It looked really good to my untrained eyes. The car, itself, looked a lot like TonyMuscle's. I'll see if I can find the pic.
Hope he doesn't mind.1705956384393.png

Looks like Linda Vaughn standing in front of that 50's classic ford street freak! My brother who lives in Laguna Niguel met her at a recent book signing and then a few days later at his local grocery store. He said she is amazing and super sweet! A true Southern Cal classic!

Looks like Linda Vaughn standing in front of that 50's classic ford street freak! My brother who lives in Laguna Niguel met her at a recent book signing and then a few days later at his local grocery store. He said she is amazing and super sweet! A true Southern Cal classic!
Maybe someone could ask her Linda if that’s her in the picture. Doesn’t look like her to me but who knows

Back