Custom grille 73

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Rob,

Any chance of using some of the headlights that have the signals built into them?

Something like this:

headlights.jpg

There are lots of different versions and styles, with the LED bars and whatnot.

What about the parkinglights used on the 71-72? Maybe they don't meet the regulations. I was thinking that they might fit were they were mounted on the 71-72?
I think he's trying to get away from a factory-style grille altogether, otherwise he could've just bought a '71-'72 grille & sportlamps and been done. ;) :whistling:

What about the parkinglights used on the 71-72? http://www.vp-autoparts.com/main.aspx?page=article&artno=D1ZZ-13201-A

Maybe they don't meet the regulations. I was thinking that they might fit were they were mounted on the 71-72? Sorry for the large picture...

1972-ford-mustang-mach-1-red-front.jpg
Yes I was thinking of them, but the 73 bumper is thicker, I Think. So there has to be some cutting involved. Il do a mock up later today to see how it could look.

Regards Rob

Hey Rob,

Any chance of using some of the headlights that have the signals built into them?

Something like this:

headlights.jpg

There are lots of different versions and styles, with the LED bars and whatnot.

What about the parkinglights used on the 71-72? Maybe they don't meet the regulations. I was thinking that they might fit were they were mounted on the 71-72?
I think he's trying to get away from a factory-style grille altogether, otherwise he could've just bought a '71-'72 grille & sportlamps and been done. ;) :whistling:
The 71-72 may be an option, but the lights with the intergrated blinkers will not clear regulations, if they not are factory standard. Has to be 18 cm between lights and blinkers.

regards Rob

If the 71-72 lights will fit in here it would be nice. But it seems that the 73 bumper has Another shape ?

1.jpg

2.jpg

I have also to consider Parking lights, if the car was factory with parking lights it should have them.

How are the 71-72 turn light mounted ? bracket ?

Last edited by a moderator:
What about the parkinglights used on the 71-72? http://www.vp-autoparts.com/main.aspx?page=article&artno=D1ZZ-13201-A

Maybe they don't meet the regulations. I was thinking that they might fit were they were mounted on the 71-72? Sorry for the large picture...

Yes I was thinking of them, but the 73 bumper is thicker, I Think. So there has to be some cutting involved. Il do a mock up later today to see how it could look.

Regards Rob
I'm sorry, thomas1984 - I misread your comment and was thinking of the '71-'72 sportlamps... not the signal lights in the lower valance.

Hey Rob,

How about a set of Audi/Benz style LED DRL/Signals? Might take a bit of rewiring, but this being so low-profile, it might fit in the '73 valance opening. You might also be able to get them through a source in Europe as well. Just a thought.

Day-turn-48.JPG

Sorry I keep throwing stuff out there that probably won't work - let me know and I'll stop. ;) :D

Regards Rob
I'm sorry, thomas1984 - I misread your comment and was thinking of the '71-'72 sportlamps... not the signal lights in the lower valance.

Hey Rob,

How about a set of Audi/Benz style LED DRL/Signals? Might take a bit of rewiring, but this being so low-profile, it might fit in the '73 valance opening. You might also be able to get them through a source in Europe as well. Just a thought.

Day-turn-48.JPG

Sorry I keep throwing stuff out there that probably won't work - let me know and I'll stop. ;) :D
No problems throw out how much you want :)

They could fit, but Im Think Im going with the original 71-72 parking lights. I must create some kind of hosing for them maybe.

I wish we were closer, I have a damaged front valance I'd be happy to harvest the light housings from to help you out.

Hopefully, there are some local Mustang-friendly folks that might know where there are some old front valances to be had. ::thumb::

You might take a look at the Opel Manta A (slim bumper euro cars) front turn signal/marker light. It is slim in height and has it's own bracket. I think it had the dual filament turn signal and marker/running light in it. Probably 2/3rds the height of the Mustang unit.

No worries Eric, no offense taken! :D I could have described my suggestion to Rob in more detail as I now understand it could be interpret wrong.

You might take a look at the Opel Manta A (slim bumper euro cars) front turn signal/marker light. It is slim in height and has it's own bracket. I think it had the dual filament turn signal and marker/running light in it. Probably 2/3rds the height of the Mustang unit.
Thanks any particular year ?

/R

Well, in the US it was 70-73, but in Europe it was 70-74. We got a heavy bumper with simple rectangular lights built into it for 74-75. Our 75 was a carry over 74, Europe got the Manta B in 74 for the 75 model year.

You might have a look at the Manta B as well, I just have no experience with them.

The nice thing is the lens/housing shape and the bracket are of a 70's design, so it won't look out of place.

You can also get clear lenses instead of amber thru the Opel parts suppliers.

There is a place called Susselbeek (pretty sure about the spelling) that supplies vintage Opel stuff.

Was doing some research....early Opel Kadett C used the same lens. Not sure on the housings or brackets. For the Kadett the housing attaches directly to the body, I am not certain on the Manta A, but I suspect the Mustang bracket could be modified.

They are not dual filament. The Manta had a side marker, so the under bumper units are turn signals. I have swapped out sockets before to convert single filament to dual. It required a universal replacement socket. Not sure how that would fly with 'The Authorities' in Sweden.

Was doing some research....early Opel Kadett C used the same lens. Not sure on the housings or brackets. For the Kadett the housing attaches directly to the body, I am not certain on the Manta A, but I suspect the Mustang bracket could be modified.

They are not dual filament. The Manta had a side marker, so the under bumper units are turn signals. I have swapped out sockets before to convert single filament to dual. It required a universal replacement socket. Not sure how that would fly with 'The Authorities' in Sweden.
Thanks Il check that out.

Hi

Its very simpel made. I cut away the old honeycomb, and sanded down Everything.

Then I used some plastic Cable sheets, without the lid. So its bassicly like an U profile. I fastend that with pop rivets and then screw the new honeycombplastic in the U profile. For the ends I just used a heat gun and bent it. I made an new Peace of sheet metal to fit where the pony is, and some spacers in plastic. Everything then got painted black. It didnt cost much at all :)

PS

Earlier I wrote that I used glue, I did but it was not strong enough. So I used rivets and screws instead.

grille1.jpg

grille2.jpg

grille3.jpg

Regards Rob

Hello :)

I bought some turn signals for a Golf, but it has no case/cover. I tried to figure out how to put them in nicely.  Finally I came up with this.

Very basic just cut away som material to make it narrower.

Of course there will be sanding, painting etc but this is the best that I could come upp with that I Think match the car.

Regards Rob

Hi

After changing my mind back and forth I finally Went for the blinkers from a Mini. I used a holder for a 52 mm gauge. I Think it turned out ok. I probably make the side markers blink to.

Regards Rob

Thanks guys, I have an idea of what to do. But finding front blinkers that are D.O.T requirement, for sweden isent easy. The blinkers should be mounted externally. Ive decided that Im going with two smaller 6 or 5 inch round parking lights where the blinkers are located today. Im gonna put the new blinkers under the bumper instead. I Think that will look good.

I also Think about blacking out the chrome on the grille to give it more deept.

Upgrades will follow now Im actually waiting for a gauge so I can complete the assembly of the center dash console. Im waiting for vacuum gauge, it will go in beside the lamdba in the 2 empty holes .

Regards Rob

what size are those small gauges? 

Back