D9TE-AB 460 swap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a 1/2 ton engine stand, but I am looking at ways to set it on the floor. I currently have the engine hoist relieving some of the weight, but that is taking up too much space.

I think I'm going to start by testing the engine. I will probably start with checking compression, and then see if I can start it.

The fuel line going from the fuel pump to the carb was cut, so I would need that. I am also going to investigate how to connect the ignition module.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

If you decide to run it, I suggest you, in the least, put the engine on the ground and secure it. Don't allow the engine to rev up or down quickly...it will try to roll itself over due to angular momentum/inertial effects.

Im working on building an engine stand from some spare 2x4 to see if it will hold the motor.

I have found an 8.8" out of a 98 Mustang GT, 28 spline axles and 3.73 gears. Based on my research, the width is pretty close to that in the 71-73 mustangs. The third member is centered as opposed to that of an explorer which is offset to one side by a couple inches. Will such a rear end work well with the 460?

I have decided to go with changing the timing gear, swapping an intake and carb and possibly a cam as well. I won't mess with any other internals if I don't have to for now. So the 460 won't be making monster hp or torque.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have also found a 9 inch rear from an 82 Bronco with 3.5 gears and a locking diff. I don't know the spline count though. I found online that these rear ends are 4 inches wider than the stock 71-73 Mustang rear ends. Is an extra 2 inches to each side too much? I would also have to get new wheels or adapters since the lug pattern is 5x5 if I am not mistaken. They are both selling for the same price.

Yes the extra width is a killer. With a power upgrade the normal route is to use a narrower rear end to allow larger tires to fit. You would have to use FWD type wheel offsets to get the tires under the car. If it is a great deal the center section can be used and the axle tubes can be shortened. Replacement axles can be had with the right bolt pattern, and you'll need new brake drums to match. 31 spline axles can be shortened. 28 splines cannot as they are tapered.

shortening up the axle tubes is something best left to someone that has a jig to get them right.

housings themselves are available in many widths and fairly reasonably

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Bare-60-Inch-Centered-9-Inch-Ford-Housing,61968.html?sku=91046115&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=COu0_Oal-88CFVU8gQodmpID7w

Thanks for the great info Jeff. I will keep that in mind. I might just go with the 8.8 from the mustang eventhough it has 28 spline axles.

I bought a remanufactured starter for about $35 at Pep Boys and did a compression check. All cylinders were close to 115-120 psi, which I have read in other forums, is somewhat normal for this motor given the cam and compression ratio.

I am starting to back out of trying to start it.

Back