dash cluster

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 MACH 1
2019 F150
I've answered my own question about a standard cluster with a tach added. It WILL NOT work. I purchased on of each and the circuit boards lighting and alignment don't match. From feedback from my last thread, evertone was correct. The only way is to modify to a tach harness. I will be changing my cluster to a standard setup and add an after market tach. I've already added gauges into the center bezel so warning lights are gone. No sending units. This car has nothing per the build sheet so I'm learning as I go.

I've answered my own question about a standard cluster with a tach added. It WILL NOT work. I purchased on of each and the circuit boards lighting and alignment don't match. From feedback from my last thread, evertone was correct. The only way is to modify to a tach harness. I will be changing my cluster to a standard setup and add an after market tach. I've already added gauges into the center bezel so warning lights are gone. No sending units. This car has nothing per the build sheet so I'm learning as I go.
I feel you.my car is the same. Different engine from when it left the factory.{not complaining my car originaly came with a 302 and it had a 1970 351c 4v when I bought it} Added gauges and was thinking about getting the original gauges with the tach but 1000 bucks is stupid crazy.my car is not a mach I, just a fastback so I don't feel obligated to have a numbers match at all.I put an aftermarket shifter in there and also a tach on the steering column.I might of thought about the original setup if they made repro gauges and harnesses but they don't so I went {D.I Y. do it yourself}

In the end you've got to build it like you want it :cool:

You should be able to get the circuit board for the factory tach - I've seen them for sale somewhere (CJ or OMP - can't remember which). If you want to get rid of the factory tach cluster, let me know - I'm looking for one and I don't mind getting a new circuit board or whatever to make it happen.

As well - how does one go about pulling the instrument cluster, anyway. I have all the mounting bolts removed, but I'm stuck on the plug and speedo cable. Does the cable connector push/twist and unlock, or does it unscrew (like my '82 did)?

You should be able to get the circuit board for the factory tach - I've seen them for sale somewhere (CJ or OMP - can't remember which). If you want to get rid of the factory tach cluster, let me know - I'm looking for one and I don't mind getting a new circuit board or whatever to make it happen.

As well - how does one go about pulling the instrument cluster, anyway. I have all the mounting bolts removed, but I'm stuck on the plug and speedo cable. Does the cable connector push/twist and unlock, or does it unscrew (like my '82 did)?
There is a tab on the bottom of the speedo cable that you press that will allow you to slide the cable off, no twisting or unscrewing needed. Seat the cable fully and the tab should be easier to push. To reassemble just slip it on till it locks. The plug has similar tabs on each side, depress and it will slide out. A little pocket mirror or hand mirror helps get your bearings back there.

Be careful on the driver side behind either the tac or the dummy cluster I believe there is a twist out light on a double wire. If you get too elated and rip the cluster out with it still in, what ensues is not fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back