DBelectrical Mini Starter question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1. Originally 2V but going 4V soon!
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-new-high-torque-mini-starter-is-just-awesome

Got this starter on Scott's recommendation and he's absolutely right, Its laughable how easy it went in.

IMG_0690[1].jpg

Not sure why they attached this wire with splice. Confused a little on the wiring and maybe someone whose done one of these also can help. Move the old large cable from the starter to the solenoid where it doubles up with the battery then place the new cable (smaller red one) in it's place and connect that to the spade lug terminal on the starter? Sh!tcan the black wire.?.?

I"ve got my car on the ramps getting ready to put mine in too.The way I understand it,The pos. wire from old starter goes back on big lug of new starter,the other end you move from the starter side of solenoid to the hot side sister it where the batt feed hooks on also.Then you make a trip wire from the old starter side of original solenoid to the little wire supplied with new starter.That will make the old soleniod trip the new one & the feed for power will come from the hot side you joined together.They make it sound like plug n play but the 4 inches of wire they send is a joke,I"m throwing that away & making my own 1 piece wire.

Eric

Thanks Eric! Its easy as pie to put in. Old one was a little trouble but I have no exhaust past the manifold so it wasnt too bad. Good luck man. Be careful too!

I jacked this one up and melted the 10 gauge wire. Here's what I learned...

There's a small and large post to connect to on the starter.

The small post (closest to the floor on the starter) gets the small 10 gauge wire and connects to the right side of the starter solenoid as you face it.

The large, 4 gauge cable that was once on the right side of the solenoid moves over to the left and goes to the large post on the starter.

-KR

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-new-high-torque-mini-starter-is-just-awesome

Got this starter on Scott's recommendation and he's absolutely right, Its laughable how easy it went in.

Not sure why they attached this wire with splice. Confused a little on the wiring and maybe someone whose done one of these also can help. Move the old large cable from the starter to the solenoid where it doubles up with the battery then place the new cable (smaller red one) in it's place and connect that to the spade lug terminal on the starter? Sh!tcan the black wire.?.?
I just cut the spade terminal off the red wire and crimped it to the black wire. Then I heated the wire coupler so it made it water tight.

What a difference in starting! So far I love it!

I just cut the spade terminal off the red wire and crimped it to the black wire. Then I heated the wire coupler so it made it water tight.

What a difference in starting! So far I love it!
I just re lugged the small red wire and took that spade lug off the starter. Yep this is a super deal on a starter and she turns over just fine.

Back