Deluxe door panel replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alarmrick

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
351C-4V
I'm replacing the deluxe door panels. I transferred all the things over to the new panel and made all the cutouts. Kind of a pain with the electric windows. My questions is how to put the clips in the back of the new panel so they line up with the holes in the door. If anyone has done this with a new panel and remembers the easiest way to do it I would appreciate the help. I know I can do trial and error but it is always easier to learn by someone else's mistakes.

Strip the vinyl and padding off the old ones so all you have left is the backing board, use this for a template to mark the new hole locations. If you want to save the old panels place some heavy clear plastic film on the back of the old panels, mark the hole locations and transfer them to the new panels.

Don's got it nailed. I did a slight variation on that, and went to the trouble of getting a big sheet of artist's cardboard and cutting it exactly to shape the steel door panel itself, then finally placed it and stuck it against the door panel and punched holes in the cardboard exactly where each hole appeared in the metal door for the clips.

Having done that, i could then remove the cardboard and place it up against the new door pad, and then get an accurate reading how the original holes lined up with the new holes provided in the new door pad. In my case sadly, many holes proved to be out of proper position. I then had to modify these holes by using a Dremel tool and elongate the holes to match up with the original positions. My backing panel was made of thick plastic, so that saved the day for me. This process gave me a good result in the end.

Lastly, i had a lot of trouble with old original door parts that would not fit the new door pads. That took a lot of mucking around and modification to get them to fit properly. Hope that helps.

Greg.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
My replacements were made by Mustang Masters and had the elongated clip holes in them. I just put the clips on the panel, hung the door panel on the top an worked my way down one clip at the time until I got them lined up. I only insert them ½ way until they are all lined up. Used a long reach needle nose pliers to rotate them into position one at a time. If you do as above, you can hinge from the top for access to the clips. Like Greg it is some work to get the add one pieces to fit correctly. The door pull cups require special care to make sure they fit.

My replacements were made by Mustang Masters and had the elongated clip holes in them. I just put the clips on the panel, hung the door panel on the top an worked my way down one clip at the time until I got them lined up. I only insert them ½ way until they are all lined up. Used a long reach needle nose pliers to rotate them into position one at a time. If you do as above, you can hinge from the top for access to the clips. Like Greg it is some work to get the add one pieces to fit correctly. The door pull cups require special care to make sure they fit.
Do you mean mustang market?

on mine, I got only a few on each side to line right up, then I drilled 3 holes 1/8" along the bottom, and added black self tapping screws, you cant see them because the blend in with the carpet.

I ended up doing them one at a time working my way down the sides. Many of the holes in the panel had to modified with a dremel just a little bit to get them to line up with the holes on the door. It looks good. Now for the other side.

I ended up doing them one at a time working my way down the sides. Many of the holes in the panel had to modified with a dremel just a little bit to get them to line up with the holes on the door. It looks good. Now for the other side.
Pics please, when you get to that point. :)

Back