Deluxe door panels

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach1 Cleveland 2V
Hello @ all,

I'm on my doors so far and have some questions about the new repop door panels.

What you guys used to cut all the holes in to the plastic and how did you do this work without to destroy that pretty expensive parts?

Does somebody know the correct name of the woodgrain from the inserts, my inserts are in a good shape just need new vinyl.

Thank you for your help,

Oskar

i used a dremel tool with a carbide cutter and carefully carved out the plastic on the back side of the panel close to the correct shape. then used a blade and trimmed the vinyl material on the front.

I had the cup covers and handles next to me and i carefully shaped the opening to fit the parts that fit the openings. you need the original panels to get parts from it that the repop does not have.

there are brackets for the the handle that have to be transferred.

you also have to leave overlap on the vinyl material to wrap the edge of the openings for the inserts.

you glue the flap of material around the edge with hot glue or contact cement.

you have to allow for the material so when you fit the pieces you may need to oversize the openings a little.

it is a lot of work. The complaint is the repop panels appear to be 1/2" shorter then originals. they really are not. the issue is with the door mount clips. after you finish making the front nice you have to fit the panel to the door itself, which means more dremal work cutting the clip holders and moving out the clips to the correct spots.

I think i spent 1 week, work on the panels and about 10 hours fitting them to my doors.

The insert wood panels they make repop now.. years ago i bought some vinyl woodgrain decal that kind of matched the original material but it never looked right. i ended up finding 2 good ones from a donor car.

the new repops are really good from what i have seen.

the vinyl is very hard to work with and triming the edges on the panel has to be done very carefully or it looks like you butchered it. they do make the repop door panel decals seperately so you can buy those and apply them to your origiinal panels. the decal kit comes with the dashboard wood grain for the camera case if you have the 3 gauge center panel.

i used a dremel tool with a carbide cutter and carefully carved out the plastic on the back side of the panel close to the correct shape. then used a blade and trimmed the vinyl material on the front.

I had the cup covers and handles next to me and i carefully shaped the opening to fit the parts that fit the openings. you need the original panels to get parts from it that the repop does not have.

there are brackets for the the handle that have to be transferred.

you also have to leave overlap on the vinyl material to wrap the edge of the openings for the inserts.

you glue the flap of material around the edge with hot glue or contact cement.

you have to allow for the material so when you fit the pieces you may need to oversize the openings a little.

it is a lot of work. The complaint is the repop panels appear to be 1/2" shorter then originals. they really are not. the issue is with the door mount clips. after you finish making the front nice you have to fit the panel to the door itself, which means more dremal work cutting the clip holders and moving out the clips to the correct spots.

I think i spent 1 week, work on the panels and about 10 hours fitting them to my doors.

The insert wood panels they make repop now.. years ago i bought some vinyl woodgrain decal that kind of matched the original material but it never looked right. i ended up finding 2 good ones from a donor car.

the new repops are really good from what i have seen.

the vinyl is very hard to work with and triming the edges on the panel has to be done very carefully or it looks like you butchered it. they do make the repop door panel decals seperately so you can buy those and apply them to your origiinal panels. the decal kit comes with the dashboard wood grain for the camera case if you have the 3 gauge center panel.
Hi,

do you know where I can order this decal kit, I need it also for my gauge center panel.

i think mr. G sold them. http://mrgusa.com

when the repops came on the market maybe the decal kit went away? i looked around and didn't see them sold.

it was at least 6 years ago the last time i would of looked.

i know they sold it it was a 3 piece set 2 door decals and the center wood trim decal for the dash and there was the deluxe with or without the gauge versions.

a lot of repop parts sort of come and go, they make a limited run and that is it :(.

i just checked with MR.G he did sell them. but it looks like he sold out on everything but the no gauge dash version a long time ago.

Back