Detroit locker issues

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flstf09

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1 429 CJ
Does anybody have any experience with Detroit Lockers?.I'm having an issue with a very loud banging noise on shifts.It usually doesn't happen on the 1-2 shift ,usually only happens on the 2-3 shift.Usually only "pops" on low speed low throttle shift.Usually doesn't do it under hard acceleration but it will occasionally. I've talked with the company that built the third member and they think it's normal for a Detroit locker to do that...I don't buy that.This is not a mild pop,it's a hard bang.Locker seems to be functioning fine,ratchets when turning and both axles lock when straight.

I have limited experience with them, I had one in an old truck I built. It was nosiey and clunky, but I don't remember any loud bangs or anything like that.

I guess the shop that did it isn't local? Was the diff new?

In my experience I never really heard anything- my truck was so loud and wheel-hopped so bad that any noise was drowned out. I only noticed some mild popping noises and felt it disengaging at low speeds.

Sorry to not be much help. If you can, take somebody who has some experience for a ride and let them weigh in...

I had one in my bronco II with a 9 " and it was very noisey. Banging and clunking all the time. Everytime I was on throttle / off throttle it would bang and clunk. It never let me down though. And I was running 35 Inch super swampers on it.

I've had two. Both had some clunking, especially when going from loads to unloaded (coast). Also both had a ratcheting sound going around corners. I don't recommend them for daily use. If your are driving around with drag radials looking for your next victim in a drag race, they are great. It is hard to say if the noises you have are "normal".

Here is a screen capture from the Eaton site.

Screen Shot 2016-08-23 at 10.32.30 AM.png

I had one in my bronco II with a 9 " and it was very noisey. Banging and clunking all the time. Everytime I was on throttle / off throttle it would bang and clunk. It never let me down though. And I was running 35 Inch super swampers on it.
Ditto.

Scared the crap out of me the first time it happened in my Jeep. Several years before, the transmission literally grenaded in the Jeep while on the freeway, and make an incredible 'BANG!' and made the Jeep bounce a bit. Years later after installing the Detroit, it made some similar noises, and I nearly sucked up the seat cover, fearing the worst: that I'd blown another transmission.

Nope - it's all perfectly normal, apparently.

It's not a daily driver.And yes sometimes it has drag radials on it. Didn't want a spool and don't think a Trac loc would hold up very long.The noises it makes don't really bother me other than that big bang on shifts,sounds like the rearend is coming apart.

It's not a daily driver.And yes sometimes it has drag radials on it. Didn't want a spool and don't think a Trac loc would hold up very long.The noises it makes don't really bother me other than that big bang on shifts,sounds like the rearend is coming apart.
I don't remember any bang on upshift. I would contact the manufacturer and see what they have to say. Just my thought on the matter. Chuck

Back