Diamonds Are Forever - James Bond Mach1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Diamonds are Forever was the first time I had seen the new 71 Mustang and I said to myself while scoffing some popcorn

"gotta get one of these"

AJ

This is for you young fellers that might not have seen this 1971 James Bond film "Diamonds are Forever". It was the second time a Mustang was used in a major feature chase scene, which ended with a quite memorable stunt. Enjoy :)

Been awhile since I watched the whole scene. It might be in our video library already, but thanks for posting it.

Doc
I did a site search before posting but came up with nothing. Where is the video library located?

Jeff

Been awhile since I watched the whole scene. It might be in our video library already, but thanks for posting it.

Doc
I did a site search before posting but came up with nothing. Where is the video library located?

Jeff
Oh, sorry. It's under "Fun Stuff" up on top, then go to "Cinema".

Doc

Hmmm..... just tried to access it, and no joy. Maybe I'm thinking of something else. Let me check on it.

Doc

Last edited by a moderator:

Doc

Jeff
Oh, sorry. It's under "Fun Stuff" up on top, then go to "Cinema".

Doc

Hmmm..... just tried to access it, and no joy. Maybe I'm thinking of something else. Let me check on it.

Doc
If you get that site back up and need more links to Mustang movies, here is "Gone in 60 Seconds" in HD, Parts 1. 2, 3 and 4

"gone in 60 Seconds" HD-Part 1

"Gone in 60 Seconds" HD-Part 2

"Gone in 60 Seconds" HD-Part 3

"Gone in 60 Seconds" HD-Part 4

Here it is Low Def in a single link but with spanish subtitles.

"Gone in 60 Seconds" Low Def, single link

Jeff

Image.jpgImage (2).jpgFrom the James Bond Car Collection Issue #13 featuring the cars from the Bond movies.

Diecast red Mach1 in 1/43 scale SOLD to Donstang.

From the James Bond Car Collection Issue #13 featuring the cars from the Bond movies.

I have a 2nd diecast red Mach1 in 1/43 scale available.

Make me an offer if you're interested.
I've got a 1/36 boxed diamonds are forever Mustang too.

and the Dukes of Hazzard double zero boxed too

I will be selling those when I return to UK next year. I have about 10 different mustang models 1/43 up to 1/18, various makes, and a 1/12 Shelby GT500 RC car too

I've been seeking a bit of clarification having read through the Lois Eminger DAF Mustang thread at the 429 site quite thoroughly:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/234286/thread/1219631751/Diamonds+are+Forever+Car+on+Ebay

While I realize authentication is a bit of an issue, I'm more concerned with trying to figure out which car I'm seeing in online photos corresponds to what, which brings me to the following:

1F05M160938 is referenced in the Eminger thread as being owned by Joseph Brancella, with nothing else mentioned. The VIN matches up with the car presently on display at The Dezer Collection in North Miami Beach, which in itself was purchased as part of the former Keswick Bond Museum collection in England. I've seen the car in person, and it bears the same Florida emissions inspection sticker (which adds up with the Brancella story) visible in the Keswick photos, though the car has since been refreshed with a new paint job and a bit of bodywork on the nose:

160938 - Dezer: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lonnypaul/6922991682/

160938 - Keswick: http://martinrwhite.com/The%20Bond%20Museum/slides/Ford%20Mustang%20Mach%201%20-%20Diamonds%20Are%20Forever.html

Given that it is an M code and a late VIN number, I'm lead to believe this is supposedly the 351C car used for shooting the second two-wheeled exit stunt in Las Vegas (whereupon the car is on it's left side wheels; the take left in the finished film).

That said, I had assumed its present history is Dezer, ex-Keswick, ex-Brancella, ex-press loan, nee-Pacific Auto Sales Inc. - but someone in the thread stated that the "351" car had gone to "Joey Chitwood and finally the Ian Flemming Foundation."

However, the Ian Fleming Foundation car, according to Mike McKeever, is 429-car 1F05J100066, which - if I read this right - went from it's spot on DAF to being a Joey Chitwood Tournament of Thrills vehicle, and afterwards worked its way to Mike McKeever, then Craig (no last name given in the thread), and then the Ian Fleming Foundation. Near as I can figure it, 100066 is the car with the alligator skin paint on the side, shown at the 50 Years of James Bond exhibit - correct?

100066 below?

Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-James-Bond1.jpg

Then there is Mike Alameda's F05J100076, also a 429 car, of which its history to DAF is questionable. Still, I have yet to see a photo of it. Any known photos of 100076?

-Kurt K.

I've done a lot of research on this because I have (2) 1971 red/vermillion cars. The C6 car is an early production October car and before I knew anything about the DAF cars I wondered if mine could have been one of the several DAF cars that were used. It's not...misses it by 2 months.

To answer your questions...

I agree that 1000066 is the 50 years display car but have no proof.

I know of no photos of 1000076.

Just found some more nonsense to screw things up - this site claims Chitwood used the 351C car (1F05M160938) for Tournament of Thrills (whichever the car, it's wearing Cragar SS rims here), even though another source says the Chitwood car went to the Fleming bunch:

http://www.ponysite.de/pony/alley.htm

The fact that 100066 is wearing donor black rims is another oddity. Who here can ID the engine under here as a 429 or 351C? I can't.

bundy_under.jpg

There are some interesting holes in the back of 100066 too - both on the gas cap (hick vapor venting?) and on the rear bumper.

Ford Mustang Mach 1 fastback by Tom Bradnock, on Flickr

I've done a lot of research on this because I have (2) 1971 red/vermillion cars. The C6 car is an early production October car and before I knew anything about the DAF cars I wondered if mine could have been one of the several DAF cars that were used. It's not...misses it by 2 months.
Speaking of your cars, do you have photos of your red/vermillion cars? I always get a kick out of seeing Mach 1's ordered without the hockey stick stripes.

To answer your questions...I agree that 1000066 is the 50 years display car but have no proof.

I know of no photos of 1000076.
I think I might have found 100076 - this is an archived picture from B-J. At any rate, those are 15" dog dishers, which would correlate with the 429:

2004PMCCA2_176_Rear.jpg

I may be wrong, but this may be 100076 as well:

mach1_daf.jpg

Another thing - at 2:18, there is an obvious dent in the rear quarter panel - Connery probably bent it in a previous take:

[video=youtube]

100066 doesn't have that dent.

http://l.yimg.com/os/156/2012/01/19/James-Bond-cars-190112--09_042735.jpg

I can't be sure of 160938, as it's restored now (obviously, no dent), and it's had at least one cosmetic refresher before, as it used to have quad lights and hood locks at one point in its life at Keswick:

http://www.ponysite.de/pony/71mach1alley.jpg

-Kurt

Only the red C6 car is without hockey stripes. I'll see if I can fide a pic of it...doesn't look anything like what you'd expect.

Notice before the switch the interior shot sells the switch from right wheels to left. She goes up and Bond drops down and you here a thump during the transition.

Notice before the switch the interior shot sells the switch from right wheels to left. She goes up and Bond drops down and you here a thump during the transition.
Yep. Cute work by Guy Hamilton, and according to his account of the premiere, everybody bought it.

-Kurt

Can't help finding the mach,But I did have a 70 LTD 351C just like the cab in the end of that video clip . :p

Back