Diamonds Are Forever - James Bond Mach1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2mpx0ms.jpg
WANT.

There's something about that one, Don. Something about it.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Don what about the yellow and the Medium Copper 73s are they parts cars?

WANT.

-Kurt
I know! There is something about this one that makes it my all time favorite. I can't quite put my finger on it. It is the Oct '70 buid car with C6 and many, many options. Originally a PA car that landed in FL. The body looks pretty good but needs a hood, cowl, floors, partial left front frame rail, partial right rear frame rail. It has a NASCAR sticker in the right quarter window and a vintage Daytona Race sticker in the left quarter window. The PO put the huge super comp headers on it, unknown engine mods, Mikey Thompson valve covers, Crager SS wheels, black painted front and who knows what else. It is a period restomod before there was such a thing. I absolutely adore this car and will fix it up as mine. I plan to keep the period correct mods intact. It really should be a parts car due to the repairs needed but i have all the stuff to bringit back. I will have waaaay too many hours in it. It will be one cool car though when done. :cool:

The yellow car in the pic is my buddy's car. However I've previously chopped up a yellow 73, a yellow 72 and the copper one is currently cut in half awaiting me to finish the job.

WANT.

-Kurt
I know! There is something about this one that makes it my all time favorite. I can't quite put my finger on it. It is the Oct '70 buid car with C6 and many, many options. Originally a PA car that landed in FL. The body looks pretty good but needs a hood, cowl, floors, partial left front frame rail, partial right rear frame rail. It has a NASCAR sticker in the right quarter window and a vintage Daytona Race sticker in the left quarter window. The PO put the huge super comp headers on it, unknown engine mods, Mikey Thompson valve covers, Crager SS wheels, black painted front and who knows what else. It is a period restomod before there was such a thing. I absolutely adore this car and will fix it up as mine. I plan to keep the period correct mods intact. It really should be a parts car due to the repairs needed but i have all the stuff to bringit back. I will have waaaay too many hours in it. It will be one cool car though when done. :cool:

The yellow car in the pic is my buddy's car. However I've previously chopped up a yellow 73, a yellow 72 and the copper one is currently cut in half awaiting me to finish the job.
What! Was there something wrong with it?

Yup. You can't tell it in that pic but that car was rotted from the bottom up from sitting in Florida sand up to its rockers. I put some good tires on it to roll it around in the yard. It's a shame though...all original with a true 68k showing on the odometer (I know the original owner and the car hasn't been registered since the 70s). The parts will live on to make my good cars even better. ;)

Don't believe Don for one minute. What else is a guy with too many Mach parts cars going to do when he chops one in half?

n63lsg.jpg

Yep. :D

-Kurt

If I did something like that it would have to be a hidden suicide back door like they used to put on extended cab pickup trucks.
I considered mounting the latch in a suicide door fashion, but retaining the visible latch. It would be a bit of a wasted effort to hide it when the door gap remains obvious. I'm not sure if the stretch is feasible, at any rate - I must have stretched the unibody 3 or 4 inches in Photoshop. I dare say the driveshaft hump and rockers would not be enough to keep this thing together; welded-on subframe connectors would be a must. (read = don't leave a pair of '71-73 cars around me with front and rear end damage).

Keeping the beltline taper at the door would also be quite an interesting cut-and-shut job, seeing as the angle has to be a bit shallower to compensate for the extra length.

At any rate, we could embarrass Panamera owners with 'em :p

That reminds me - I once did a quick-and-dirty Photoshop to see if Ford's fiberglass 4-door 1965 Mustang mockup was on a stretched platform or if the wheelbase was unchanged from the 2-door.

The fiberglass mockup:

1-1963-ford-mustang-4door-sedan.jpg

The Photoshop:

dwxaq9.jpg

The designers steepened the back glass, enlarged the C-pillar area up to the trunklid, and got rid of the curve in the rear quarter glass, but the wheelbase appears to have remained unchanged. From the side (as opposed to the 3/4 fiberglass mockup), it's unsurprising that they abandoned the project - "compact door entry" puts it mildly.

/Self-indulged thread hijack over.

-Kurt

Sorry never want to see a four door Mustang. I would take a newer Australian Falcon though FPV FG GT Boss

Sorry never want to see a four door Mustang. I would take a newer Australian Falcon though FPV FG GT Boss
Me either! I did cut off the roof and cut out the entire middle section then pushed the front and rear together. I called it the short stang vert. I thought seriously about further halving the halves straight up at each wheel opening and joining the rear 1/4 to the front 1/4 to make a trailer to pull behind one of the drivable cars. I could use the full hood as a trailer lid after some fab work to make it fit. I don't have the Photoshop skills to create a rendering. Maybe I'll give it a try though.

I think I could handle the 4 door better than the station wagon!

Ford20Shelby20GT35020Station20Wagon.jpg
I like wagons that is why my Daily Driver is a Flex.

I absolutely love those early Mustang wagon conversions!!

Badging it as a Shelby is not bad either. That's only about appearance and looks. How many "Mach1"s are there that are only Fastbacks with stripe work?

I think I could handle the 4 door better than the station wagon!
I like wagons that is why my Daily Driver is a Flex.
My around town, bad weather daily driver is a 97 Windstar minivan! :blush:

::eek:fftopic::

I can't be sure of 160938, as it's restored now (obviously, no dent), and it's had at least one cosmetic refresher before, as it used to have quad lights and hood locks at one point in its life at Keswick:
Have you seen 160938 after the repaint? I would like to get some pictures of it. Especially of the interior to determine the original color of the seatbelts (red or black).

I would also like to know if there is evidence of a roll bar, and the mounting points and if there is evidence of the dent in the quarter, or a dent in the roof (as seen in the special features where the car is exiting on the CORRECT side)

-Bo

Another thing - at 2:18, there is an obvious dent in the rear quarter panel - Connery probably bent it in a previous take:
I noticed the dent also. It is how you can identify the "hero" car.

It must have happened very early in the shooting as it appears in almost every shot of that particular car. It may have happened during one of the takes performing the 270 degree turn. In the special features on the Blu-ray you see it lock up the brakes and the back end is sliding toward the white car which is still in the intersection. In a later take (the one in the movie) you can see the dent.

One of the only shots where there is no dent in the "hero" car is in the special features (not in the movie) where the car backs away from the sherrif and does the 180 degree turn. 2 differnt cars did the stunt, one with a roll bar and one without a roll bar (the "hero" car)

-Bo

However, the Ian Fleming Foundation car, according to Mike McKeever, is 429-car 1F05J100066, which - if I read this right - went from it's spot on DAF to being a Joey Chitwood Tournament of Thrills vehicle, and afterwards worked its way to Mike McKeever, then Craig (no last name given in the thread), and then the Ian Fleming Foundation. Near as I can figure it, 100066 is the car with the alligator skin paint on the side, shown at the 50 Years of James Bond exhibit - correct?
I have a hard time believing 100066 was used in the filming of DAF. I have watched, frame by frame, the Mach 1 scenes in DAF and the special features. I have identified characteristics for at least 3 different Mach 1s. These characteristics do not match the original options for 100066 (based on the invoice Mike posted).

- Clear Glass

- Rear window defogger

- Ram-Air hood

- Deluxe seat belts

Are original options on 100066 which are not present on the "hero" car. I guess the car could have been modified...and put back to original after filming...but why bother with these details...most movie goers would never notice the difference.

- Bo

I can't be sure of 160938, as it's restored now (obviously, no dent), and it's had at least one cosmetic refresher before, as it used to have quad lights and hood locks at one point in its life at Keswick:
Have you seen 160938 after the repaint? I would like to get some pictures of it. Especially of the interior to determine the original color of the seatbelts (red or black).

I would also like to know if there is evidence of a roll bar, and the mounting points and if there is evidence of the dent in the quarter, or a dent in the roof (as seen in the special features where the car is exiting on the CORRECT side)

-Bo

Another thing - at 2:18, there is an obvious dent in the rear quarter panel - Connery probably bent it in a previous take:
I noticed the dent also. It is how you can identify the "hero" car.

It must have happened very early in the shooting as it appears in almost every shot of that particular car. It may have happened during one of the takes performing the 270 degree turn. In the special features on the Blu-ray you see it lock up the brakes and the back end is sliding toward the white car which is still in the intersection. In a later take (the one in the movie) you can see the dent.

One of the only shots where there is no dent in the "hero" car is in the special features (not in the movie) where the car backs away from the sherrif and does the 180 degree turn. 2 differnt cars did the stunt, one with a roll bar and one without a roll bar (the "hero" car)

-Bo

However, the Ian Fleming Foundation car, according to Mike McKeever, is 429-car 1F05J100066, which - if I read this right - went from it's spot on DAF to being a Joey Chitwood Tournament of Thrills vehicle, and afterwards worked its way to Mike McKeever, then Craig (no last name given in the thread), and then the Ian Fleming Foundation. Near as I can figure it, 100066 is the car with the alligator skin paint on the side, shown at the 50 Years of James Bond exhibit - correct?
I have a hard time believing 100066 was used in the filming of DAF. I have watched, frame by frame, the Mach 1 scenes in DAF and the special features. I have identified characteristics for at least 3 different Mach 1s. These characteristics do not match the original options for 100066 (based on the invoice Mike posted).

- Clear Glass

- Rear window defogger

- Ram-Air hood

- Deluxe seat belts

Are original options on 100066 which are not present on the "hero" car. I guess the car could have been modified...and put back to original after filming...but why bother with these details...most movie goers would never notice the difference.

- Bo
Very detailed observations and Welcome to the Site. Please post up an introduction thread! ::welcome::

Yes, I have seen 160938 after the repaint; it's on display, locally. The museum is strangely casual (not a single guardrail around one of the Goldeneye DB5s - you can walk right up to it), so I may be able to get photos if I speak with the curator.

The bodywork on the nose was well done though, so I suspect that any of the damage that may have been on the car prior to the repaint is gone. Keep in mind that the grille and hood already had been fiddled with during its Keswick days as well, and it doesn't show the damage before or after its modifications back to stock spec:

Hood pins and fog lights at Keswick (at least, that's what this photograph is claimed to be):

71mach1alley.jpg

Keswick, following modifications back to stock:

bond71.jpg

I just re-watched the deleted two-wheeled scene, but in 360P on YouTube. I think I spotted the two dents. From my first visit to see that car, I'm almost sure neither dent remains.

I'll see what I can do.

- Clear Glass

- Rear window defogger

- Ram-Air hood

- Deluxe seat belts

Would these features match 100097, by any chance?

-Kurt

Back