Does anyone have a backlite heater?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a great fix for the switch and good info for those needing them. You have to get more cautious getting into the car I broke mine with pants leg getting caught on it and I am sure my convertible will be the same way. I am right at 6'5" so not many cars fit me but the mustangs do.

Great info for those with the defroster.

David

Don of OMS is right: the total number of vehicles in any year should not include the convertibles. I did check and no convertibles received a rear defrogger.

Interesting that the early 70's was when the consumer demand for rear defroggers began to take off; now it is pretty much standard equipment.

Don of OMS is right: the total number of vehicles in any year should not include the convertibles. I did check and no convertibles received a rear defrogger.

Interesting that the early 70's was when the consumer demand for rear defroggers began to take off; now it is pretty much standard equipment.
Yes it was new but when I wanted every option it was only $57.00 more. Do you not want that time machine to go back?

David

Yes it was new but when I wanted every option it was only $57.00 more. Do you not want that time machine to go back?

David
Did you get the intermittent wipers as well?

David
Did you get the intermittent wipers as well?
Found the notice from the web site in junk mail so I was slow answering. Yes I did get intermittent wipers. They are listed as Interval Windshield Wipers on sticker and cost $23.23 back then. The only option not on the car was the engine block heater. There are some options not there because you could not get them on a Mach 1. I think I got the scan of dealer invoice, written order & Invoice for what I paid attached. You can see how little the dealer made. Of course they also get paid for selling the car. The window sticker was also two pages due to the number of options. I added at dealer, undercoating, door edge guards, locking spare tire, front spoiler, ram air, rear carpeted floor mats to match the fronts that came with car and changed the vacuum advance distributor to mechanical. I think that totals 34 options in total.

The dealer thought I was crazy for ordering a Mustang with everything. I would think the power windows are the most rare of all but do not know. I have never seen another with the leather steering wheel.

David

Hi David that is quite a list of options you have on your Mach 1 and would great to see it in the flesh. I would have thought the dealer wouldn't have thought you were crazy, but loving you for ordering your car with that many options. You're right about the leather wrapped steering wheel being a rare option as it was an option for 73 only I'm pretty sure. My Q code convertible has one also and have not seen another one either. I've had quite a few people ask me if it was a factory option or added later on. Mine also has the interval wipers and power windows too and wished it had come with the tilt column and maybe the four speed as well, but some days it's just nice cruise around with the C6 auto and not worry about changing gears.

Hi David that is quite a list of options you have on your Mach 1 and would great to see it in the flesh. I would have thought the dealer wouldn't have thought you were crazy, but loving you for ordering your car with that many options. You're right about the leather wrapped steering wheel being a rare option as it was an option for 73 only I'm pretty sure. My Q code convertible has one also and have not seen another one either. I've had quite a few people ask me if it was a factory option or added later on. Mine also has the interval wipers and power windows too and wished it had come with the tilt column and maybe the four speed as well, but some days it's just nice cruise around with the C6 auto and not worry about changing gears.
The car has sat for 32 years in the barn so it needs to be gone over. It has not been washed inside or out in 32 years.

I just got a tilt column today for a 73 convertible that I hope gets delivered tomorrow. It is a California car H code with auto. It is tough to find the tilt column for 73 again only year that fits and when people pull them out the leave some of the pieces. The rag joints are crazy expensive. I got this one complete in ginger for $260.00.

Well going to go open the box and see if I was told the truth about the column. I put a couple pics of the interior on the Mach 1 it has done pretty good just sitting.

Where do you live?

David

That's awesome! The spare tire, that is!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

At first a very nice Mustang you have.

I have a few questions asked a few day's back about the spare wheel lock and now i see a photo where the place is for that lock.

I don't see the purpose of this spare tire lock, there is still a lock on the trunk lid or am i wrong!!!

Who can give me the reason of this lock?

:huh:

Thanks a lot,

Eddy

Hi,

I have a few questions asked a few day's back about the spare wheel lock and now i see a photo where the place is for that lock.

I don't see the purpose of this spare tire lock, there is still a lock on the trunk lid or am i wrong!!!

Thanks a lot,

Eddy
Eddy,

Ford knew that the space saver spares would be like gold one day and they knew we would be a car shows with the trunk open. It is to prevent someone lifting it at shows, lol.

No I think it was part of the appearance protection package but do not know for sure. The appearance protection package was not available on the Mach 1. wheel lip moldings, rocker moldings, door edge guards, the little skinny door bump strip down the side and the black out panel between the tail lights. There was a small half size brochure that the dealer gave out that covered dealer options for the whole line of Ford cars. I have one somewhere I am sure just will never find it. In that all the things like lights to plug in you cigarette lighter, floor mats, tissue dispensers and the spare tire lock was there. It is keyed to take the trunk key but since I added the lock I had a new trunk key cut with the trunk code on one side and the lock code on the other.

That would be another topic.

The Ford two sided keys were the first in the industry so that the key was always turned the right way. I worked as a die cast engineer at National Lock and we did some of the cylinders for Ford, Hurd Lock did most of them. Only one side of the key actually hits the pins inside the lock cylinder. So if you have two Fords and want to cut down on the number of keys on your ring just have the key shop cut one car on one side and a different one on the other. You can notch one edge to identify with car it fits. This is true for the ignition and the doors and trunk.

But the lock was just another option that Ford presented and I have not seen another one of those either.

My dad had a 1935 Ford roadster that he sold before I was born but it had a set of factory installed plated wheels. I have never seen one of those either.

My 1950 Ford sedan has a couple dealer installed options, rear window wiper and rear window blinds or louvers. I have the dealer book that shows those as options because everyone that sees them says that no way they had those back then. They did just not many bought them. The 4 spoke steering wheel, rear radio speaker and hydraulic bumper jack are three others that are very rare for the 1950 year.

Ford always had dealer options since the consumer walks in and the exact car he wants is not there so he could change it up and not have to wait for a car to be built.

The super rare three two setup for 1965 Mustang was a dealer installed only option. It gave you the tri power, air cleaner and the badges to go on the front fenders.

I have several sets of the first child resistant locks for ford. They are in the box came out in 65, C5AZ-5421850-A R82-B. They were called "Lifeguard Jr." You can put them on the front and rear doors if four door to prevent the kids from opening the doors. You take your key and pull up the button but the kids could not get hold of them to open.

If any of you have the Ford parts books I think there is a separate section for the dealer options would be neat to know all that was available so you could look for them at swap meets. I will take the lock off and take some pics and post so you can see it good.

What are some odd options you have seen on Mustangs or Fords?

David

Hi,

Thanks a lot,

Eddy
Eddy,

Ford knew that the space saver spares would be like gold one day and they knew we would be a car shows with the trunk open. It is to prevent someone lifting it at shows, lol.

No I think it was part of the appearance protection package but do not know for sure. The appearance protection package was not available on the Mach 1. wheel lip moldings, rocker moldings, door edge guards, the little skinny door bump strip down the side and the black out panel between the tail lights. There was a small half size brochure that the dealer gave out that covered dealer options for the whole line of Ford cars. I have one somewhere I am sure just will never find it. In that all the things like lights to plug in you cigarette lighter, floor mats, tissue dispensers and the spare tire lock was there. It is keyed to take the trunk key but since I added the lock I had a new trunk key cut with the trunk code on one side and the lock code on the other.

The Ford two sided keys were the first in the industry so that the key was always turned the right way. I worked as a die cast engineer at National Lock and we did some of the cylinders for Ford, Hurd Lock did most of them. Only one side of the key actually hits the pins inside the lock cylinder. So if you have two Fords and want to cut down on the number of keys on your ring just have the key shop cut one car on one side and a different one on the other. You can notch one edge to identify with car it fits. This is true for the ignition and the doors and trunk.

But the lock was just another option that Ford presented and I have not seen another one of those either.

My dad had a 1935 Ford roadster that he sold before I was born but it had a set of factory installed plated wheels. I have never seen one of those either.

My 1950 Ford sedan has a couple dealer installed options, rear window wiper and rear window blinds or louvers. I have the dealer book that shows those as options because everyone that sees them says that no way they had those back then. They did just not many bought them. The 4 spoke steering wheel, rear radio speaker and hydraulic bumper jack are three others that are very rare for the 1950 year.

Ford always had dealer options since the consumer walks in and the exact car he wants is not there so he could change it up and not have to wait for a car to be built.

The super rare three two setup for 1965 Mustang was a dealer installed only option. It gave you the tri power, air cleaner and the badges to go on the front fenders.

I have several sets of the first child resistant locks for ford. They are in the box came out in 65, C5AZ-5421850-A R82-B. They were called "Lifeguard Jr." You can put them on the front and rear doors if four door to prevent the kids from opening the doors. You take your key and pull up the button but the kids could not get hold of them to open.

If any of you have the Ford parts books I think there is a separate section for the dealer options would be neat to know all that was available so you could look for them at swap meets. I will take the lock off and take some pics and post so you can see it good.

David
Eddy,

This could probably explain it. Went to eBay and there is one for sale $60.00. The target was for trucks and Bronco but was available for all Ford vehicles.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/70-71-72-73-74-75-76-77-78-79-FORD-TRUCK-BRONCO-ACCESSORY-SPARE-TIRE-LOCK-W-KEYS-/151585601719?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item234b34b8b7&vxp=mtr

David

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a defroster glass for a Hardtop or Grande many years ago. It came from a salvage yard car and did not get the harness. Unfortunately it got damaged in a move :(.

Don't have book with me but I'd bet it is rare.

Ray

Hi,

Thanks a lot,

Eddy
Eddy,

David

Hi,

Thanks a lot,

Eddy
Eddy,

David
Eddy,

This could probably explain it. Went to eBay and there is one for sale $60.00. The target was for trucks and Bronco but was available for all Ford vehicles.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/70-71-72-73-74-75-76-77-78-79-FORD-TRUCK-BRONCO-ACCESSORY-SPARE-TIRE-LOCK-W-KEYS-/151585601719?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item234b34b8b7&vxp=mtr

David
Ok go to page 10 in the 1973 Mustang brochure and it shows the lock in the Protection Group options. Attached a copy of the page top right.

David

The car has sat for 32 years in the barn so it needs to be gone over. It has not been washed inside or out in 32 years.

I just got a tilt column today for a 73 convertible that I hope gets delivered tomorrow. It is a California car H code with auto. It is tough to find the tilt column for 73 again only year that fits and when people pull them out the leave some of the pieces. The rag joints are crazy expensive. I got this one complete in ginger for $260.00.

Well going to go open the box and see if I was told the truth about the column. I put a couple pics of the interior on the Mach 1 it has done pretty good just sitting.

Where do you live?

David

Considering your car has sat in a barn for 32 years it looks pretty clean on the inside and it's Ginger as well. Your door cards look amazing, I wish mine looked that good as the Seller put on crappy plastic ones and painted them, so they're definitely next on the to do list as well as a new dash pad as mine has a few small splits starting, I'm now kicking myself as I really should've done these first, but got a great deal on a set of headers and a terrific price on shipping and am now in the middle of doing that (now I've started work's gone crazy, so is sitting there half done) That's a great price for that column you got and the right colour for mine if you decide you don't really want it, lol, and your right about people selling incomplete items, because all this does it makes it more expensive and time consuming to try and find all the pieces you need. Another trick I see with sellers is they pull the items apart to maximise their profits instead of selling the complete item so you have bid against others on all the bits you need (I'm restoring another car and don't play that game with the greedy bastards) Be nice to see your car all cleaned up when the weather gets a bit warmer over there, but on the downside that means it gets colder over here, as I live in Australia, also David is the rest of your 73 Mach 1 still in all original condition as the interior looks like it. All the best with cleaning up your Mach 1 and the resto on your convertible.

Back