Does ETHANOL added GAS destroy carbs?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fortunately for me, there are two ethanol-free gas stations within 10 minutes driving-time of my home. I use it in all of our vehicles, especially my daily driver, a 1979 Ford Thunderbird. Gas mileage improves as does vehicle performance. More expensive. But worth it.

All gas stations in Calif have had ethanol and lots of additives to clean injectors for years. I too went thru the silly carb rebuild cycle every 4-6 months. I really think the new rebuild kits are not compatable with ethanol and additives either.

I switched over to a new Edelbrock carb about 5 years ago and haven't had a carb problem

since. Edelbrock says on their website that their carbs are compatible with modern gas.

Save that leaky Autolite carb in a box in the garage, slap on a new Edelbrock and be smiling with lots of trouble-free miles.

I'm going to use STA-BIL ethanol treatment in my tank from now on.
Stabil says it prevents ethanol induced water attraction that causes rust in metal, but I don't think Stabil will prevent the ethanol from eating non-compatible rubber and gaskets in the carb. Stabil's website doesn't claim that either. It looks like they just added fuel dryer and detergents into their gas stabilizer mix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great info, thanks for all the assistance. I see LUCAS also makes an ethanol additive. I'll use for a while and check the results.

Bill

well this explanes why I have rebuilt my Carb every other year in the Mustang!!.

my boat had a Fiberglass tank that distroyed the carb, I have to rib out the Aft Cabin to replace it with an Aluminum tank.

Great info, thanks for all the assistance. I see LUCAS also makes an ethanol additive. I'll use for a while and check the results.

Bill
Went on their website, It does the same thing that Stabil does, remove the water and clean injectors.

It DOES NOT help with premature rubber and gasket destruction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back