Door panel holes not lining up?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scubaman

Reaction score
My Car
73 convertible
On my ‘73 convertible I’m having problems attaching a reproduction door panel. The holes in the panel do not line up with the holes in the door by 1-1.5 inches. Ordered door panel clips from NPD and they are too short. They are L clips and they fit into the holes fine but are not long enough to match up with the holes. Does anyone have any clever ideas to attach the panels?

On my ‘73 convertible I’m having problems attaching a reproduction door panel. The holes in the panel do not line up with the holes in the door by 1-1.5 inches. Ordered door panel clips from NPD and they are too short. They are L clips and they fit into the holes fine but are not long enough to match up with the holes. Does anyone have any clever ideas to attach the panels?
What I did was used a small rotary drill with a bit and slightly made the hole that the clip fits in a bit bigger to whatever side the hole on the door lines up to.worked well for me

Be sure to check the clip alignment on the door panel. The loop end on door panel goes only one way to correctly position the clips. Had this on several Mustangs.

Be sure to check the clip alignment on the door panel. The loop end on door panel goes only one way to correctly position the clips. Had this on several Mustangs.
Your right,the repo panels are slightly off . Not all holes just a few. That were like I was saying on the repo door panels I just lined up and made the black piece that the clip fits in a bit bigger to which way it had to line up and it worked great. No issues

Last edited:
Which door panels did you purchase?
I purchased the newer improved and more expensive ones from NPD and they fit pretty well.
The problem I see is that the panel is thicker than the originals and it’s going to be tough to install the drivers side remote mirror knob. I haven’t finished the install yet as I took the interior back out while I do other things to the car. IMG_6806.jpegIMG_6808.jpeg

Back