duraspark distributors

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great info Don, my setup likes 6 turns out on the Duraspark distributor which was achieved by trial and error in my case. I will break out the timing light soon to see what my total mechanical timing + vacuum advance ended up at under max vacuum situations. I am running 16 degrees base timing with 20 degrees of mechanical advance all in at 2800 rpm so I am curious to see what it ended up at with the vacuum advance added.
 Mike. I'm not running a Duraspark (yet), but it sounds like you are about where mine is too. Just did a tweak on the heavy spring tension, just a slight bit of free-play on it, turned the screw out 1 more turn to 5 1/2 and it runs real strong now, no pining at all.

Wish I could go Don's route though. Sounds like it'll be awesome.

FYI in my last (literally) edition of Mustang Monthly, there is a whole section on EFI systems. A good read if you're interested.

Geoff.

Geoff, I am very happy with my setup, it starts instantly and pulls clean and hard to 6K. I know your not a fan of MSD but the MSD igntion box/ duraspark dizzy combo works great for me. When I was using a Duraspark box I had to use a ballast resistor to keep the box from burning up where as the MSD box can handle full voltage. Good luck on getting everything dialed in, it sounds like you are on the right path.

Last edited by a moderator:
Geoff, I am very happy with my setup, it starts instantly and pulls clean and hard to 6K. I know your not a fan of MSD but the MSD igntion box/ duraspark dizzy combo works great free me. When I was using a Duraspark box I had to use a ballast resistor to keep the box from burning up where as the MSD box can handle full voltage. Good luck on getting everything dialed in, it sounds like you are on the right path.
 All, I will continue my  story/experiences in my own post, "Which aftermarket distributor to buy.... "

I don't want to confuse our friend Boilermaster by talking about a stock ignition set-up, but Mike, you might have a good point about using an MSD box with the Duraspark if it can be hidden out of sight. I no squat about the electronics stuff, so I'll leave that part to the knowledgeable.

Geoff.

Back