Dust covers/ backing plates, are they necessary?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Mustang
I am doing a disc brake swap on my 71 mach.I am using all original parts off of a 72 vert. Are the dust shields behind the rotors really neccesary? mine are pretty rough and if i dont need them i'm not gonna waste my money on a set of repops. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks Kevin

Yes they are necessary. They keep the dirt and debrie? away from the claipers.

Jim
Exactely... as Jim says, even the dont seem to be efficient shields they are.... You can use them even if they are bitted up, just check for clearance when the wheel is rolling....

Why dont youask Don (OMS) for them?? i saw in a recent thread the new one were really cheap...

Yes they are necessary. They keep the dirt and debrie? away from the claipers.

Jim
Exactely... as Jim says, even the dont seem to be efficient shields they are.... You can use them even if they are bitted up, just check for clearance when the wheel is rolling....

Why dont youask Don (OMS) for them?? i saw in a recent thread the new one were really cheap...
Yeah i can get new ones for about $50. just thought since it never sees dirt roads or rain or anything like that they might not be necessary.

Back