Early 72 Factory Ram Air installed on Q code

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hiltonheadkid

Reaction score
I have been working on this for almost one year. Looking for documentation on early cars up to January 72 with factory installed Ram Air. It is known the EPA placed the restriction for 72, however some were built and released. Note the 6 month hold on my car and the original Dealer order sheet Cxled' 12/71 then sold out of Dearborn stock to another dealer on the Marti report 7/72 Please only known true info

Attachments

• 20230421_114340.jpg
    20230421_114340.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230421_114539.jpg
    20230421_114539.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
  • 20200628_155732.jpg
    20200628_155732.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230901_162054.jpg
    20230901_162054.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230522_165549.jpg
    20230522_165549.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Thanks Chuck, exactly what happened. I have compiled lots of info most from long time Friend Jim Smart. Along with my Ram Air plenum being yellow grease penciled 1 6 2 which was the assembly date (Buck date) and a little known piece of Ford document The original dealer onion skin order form which was provided by Kevin Marti and available through him for sale showing the Dealer order date early December 71 then canceled with a small refund to the Dealer. The order dealer was Carmel Ford New York, then my Marti report shows sale date of July 6, 1972 sold out of Dearborn stock going to Greenport Motors New York. A 6 month hold. I understand Ford was hit with a 75Million $ fine for falsified test results on the 351 CJ RA cars and releasing a few early cars with RA. Now to find out which held back cars were used on the 50 mile run on the test track for EPA emissions testing. More to come. Regards, Pete

Last edited:
Ok, question is does your car have ram air? If so do you have documented factory ram air? Or it might be a "Got Away".

I have been working on this for almost one year. Looking for documentation on early cars up to January 72 with factory installed Ram Air. It is known the EPA placed the restriction for 72, however some were built and released. Note the 6 month hold on my car and the original Dealer order sheet Cxled' 12/71 then sold out of Dearborn stock to another dealer on the Marti report 7/72 Please only known true info
My Q-code with Ram Air option was built the same day as yours, January 12th, 1972. My Marti report states Ram Air option in the "ordered with the following features' section.
1701034619941.png

Last edited:
c
Great that's what I need to hear. I am looking for any Marti report, or built sheets with the listing, although against EPA rules not to be released for sale. The few that were made were not listed on paper due to huge fines imposed. Mine sat 6 months on the Dearborn Factory lot before EPA let the few hold backs be sold.

c
Great that's what I need to hear. I am looking for any Marti report, or built sheets with the listing, although against EPA rules not to be released for sale. The few that were made were not listed on paper due to huge fines imposed. Mine sat 6 months on the Dearborn Factory lot before EPA let the few hold backs be sold.
It may have something to do with the order dates, too.

EPA said no Ram Air on 4 BBl 351 CJ, I know Ford got caught sneaking cars on the assembly line without approval in the early runs and shipped. I know cars were held at the Factory due to EPA rules and fines imposed. some say Ford never held back any cars due to EPA rules. Attached picture shows the EPA are Heart Attack Serious. The poor 1976 Capri owners who got 1974 Capri's.

Attachments

• 20230605_074856.jpg
    20230605_074856.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
Thanks for your Marti report showing RA. Just what I need. Going to put this "The 1972 351 CJ never came from the Factory with Ram Air to Bed."

My Q Code with ram air build sheet

Attachments

• IMG_0009.jpeg
    IMG_0009.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
Ok, question is does your car have ram air? If so do you have documented factory ram air? Or it might be a "Got Away".
My car has Ram Air, but is not documented. I only have Marti report, no invoice. The hood on it is rusted way worse than the rest of the car, so it's be on there a while. I will be ordering an invoice.

Thanks not all had Ram Air shown on the invoice due to the EPA Ban. If you have the original hood with the original fiberglass plenum on it you can remove the 4 rear screws, pull it down and snap a picture . All I have seen have a 3 number date, month day year. If close to your built date it's most likely factory installed.

Very interesting information from all. Thank you for sharing and bringing your observations and information to light. That is the tricky part on productions facts and passed along information.

OK, will check for a date tomorrow, pretty chilly today. Interesting, that Marti Report shown says One of 81 WITH RAM AIR OPTION. 81 ordered? Or 81 installed? Or 81 invoiced and not installed?
I've always read it as 81 1972 convertibles were equipped with the Ram Air Option. There were probably many more coupes and fastbacks with the option.

Thanks, I think one part of the puzzle came to light when I received my onion skin original Dealer order form from Kevin Marti. It shows Ordered then cancel by one dealer, Marti report shown a 6 month hold at Dearborn then sold from the Dearborn stock to a different dealer for mine. Remember Ford knew of the Q code EPA restriction on the 1972 production cars back in 1971. I think they took a risk of showing RA installed on any 1972 car. Some Got away, some like mine placed on hold until EPA approved it. Remember the Mid Year R code 351 HO had ram air installed meaning it finally got approval. Now the search to find out which car or cars held back were used on the test track to get approval. Records and testaments show Ford cooked the books on testing and were caught and a hefty fine levied.
Hope more info to follow.

Back