Ebay ads stating cJ or Cobra Jet 351 in a 1973

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 351CJ underwent a name change to 351 4V in 1973. Same year it received the open chamber heads and smaller valves. It did however have a more aggressive cam and came with a 750cfm carb.

The 351CJ underwent a name change to 351 4V in 1973. Same year it received the open chamber heads and smaller valves. It did however have a more aggressive cam and came with a 750cfm carb.

The 351CJ always had open chambered heads since it was introduced in the spring of 1971, but the 2V size valves did arrive in '73.

Same basic cam timing and lift was the same for all four model years of production, 1972 brought on a ground-in 4° retard.

The 351CJ always had open chambered heads since it was introduced in the spring of 1971, but the 2V size valves did arrive in '73.

Same basic cam timing and lift was the same for all four model years of production, 1972 brought on a ground-in 4° retard.
Sorry I should have said with smaller valves. I am tearing one down right now and see tons of space around the perimeter of the valve surface. Man these 4V heads have MONSTER ports. I can't wait to get these rebuilt.

I say call it what you want as it is cobra jet like. A 73 cobra jet is not a 72 cobra jet. A 73 cobra jet is more called that in service manuals, with some mustang mechanics and less in dealer info. I'm calling mine cobra jets, but I'm not calling them a 72 cobra jet. An educated person will know the difference and others can be educated that some people don't consider them cobra jets etc. if it matters. Only fanatics care that much what you call it and what it actually is. If it matters to a buyer that much, then they should already be educated enough or do an independent internet search to learn before buying.

I'd like to chime in with my own 2-cents and a bit of interesting "evidence"...

I do not have any issue with calling the 1973 Q-code a Cobra Jet or CJ. Sometimes the hobby is guilty of trying to be way too "absolutist" about things, without realizing that the Big-3 were ENORMOUS operations... And quite frequently, the left hand didn't have a clue what the right hand was up to. Precise nomenclature and data was all over the place, depending upon which computer database was being pulled-from, back in an era where computers and databases were primitive and not typically networked.

Anyhow, enough rhetorical blabbing, and straight to the confusion...

My black 1973 Gran Torino Sport Q-code 4-speed is listed simply as "351-4V" on its original factory invoice. However, the Marti Report lists it as "351-4V CJ Engine". Keep in mind that Marti Reports are simply regurgitations of the original data that Kevin received from Ford. He does not modify terminology just for the heck of it. So in one database that they produced invoices from, they didn't mention CJ, and in another database, they did. And anecdotally, 2 years ago this car was invited to display (which I did) at the Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals (MCACN) in Chicago, as they were doing a special Cobra Jet class with Cobra Jets from every year Ford offered. My 1973 was chosen to anchor the high side of the year range. No one at MCACN (including Bob Perkins) questions its status as a CJ.

My blue 1973 Cougar XR-7 convertible is documented as the last Ford convertible to roll off the assembly line. So it is a LATE build, July 1973. I have the original window sticker to the car, and plain as day, it says "351-CJ"

So it's pretty clear to me, Ford was confused... As usual.... Nothing new, and whether you consider it a Cobra Jet or not, you're right.. LOL..

image000001.jpgimage000000.jpg

Back