Edlebrock 1406 carb with stock manifold

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mac 1
I replaced the 1406 Edelbrock carb on my stock 1973 351 CJ intake with the identical unit figuring since this would be my first carb it would make the easiest swap. I also have a Ram air set up and did not want anything higher as I just have enough clearance now.

I pleased that now all the hard starting issues and most of the rough idle issues are gone. I did not want to try and rebuild the older one and experiment. Now that I have it off and the car running I will rebuild it and learn more about the operation of the carb. Good experience for a beginner. The rest of you experts can laugh :) I'm just happy I finished the job with only a few extra parts and a running car!

So, here's my question if I can explain it properly. The old carb was sitting on an original EGR spacer. The hole for the EGR valve was plugged off. I discovered all this when I got the carb off. I could see there was a spacer or adapter under there but I did not know what type it was. I had ordered Edelbrocks kit (2696) to adapt a square bore carb to the spread bore manifold in case I had needed it. This kit is for GM cars (quadrajet) I believe and did not line up with my stock manifold. Not only didn't the bores line up (I think the secondaries were blocked) but that hooked j shaped hollow section next to the bores on top of the manifold (which I assume was part of the EGR system) was left basically uncovered. The old spacer covered it completely and the gasket was also correct. I did not use the adapter kit and stuck with the original EGR spacer.

From the EGR spacer to the manifold I got the correct gasket from a local store (lucky there as the old gasket was shot of course) and that lined up fine as expected.

Now, from the bottom of the Edlebrock carb to the stock EGR spacer the secondaries are partially blocked. I also could not find a correct gasket and had to use the same type the prior owner did - a square gasket that came with the carb. This is probably not optimal nor is the misalignment between the secondaries and the spacer I would think. Again, this is how the car was before. If it can be better now is the time for me to do it.

There is a question in here somewhere......so, other than changing the manifold or going with another carb completely, is there a better spacer for the stock manifold to the Edelbrock 1406 and/or correct underside of the carb gasket to the stock EGR spacer or is the set up "good enough" the way I have it now. The car was like this when I bought it. It now starts beautifully (old carb was probably dirty) and on the road seems to run fine. I'm sure the restriction on the secondaries isn't helping and I would think that a gasket that goes around each of the bores instead of surrounds them would be better as well.

Thanks for reading my novel.

Jeff

The 1406 is not a true square bore carb, the secondaries are a little bit bigger than the primaries. Not sure on the adapter.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 1406 is not a true square bore car, the secondaries are a little bit bigger than the primaries. Not sure on the adapter.
Yup. I noticed that. A number of people are using this carb so I'm hoping someone is doing so with the stock manifold like me.

I am using this carb, but with a weiand stealth manifold. the only issues i had were that i had to replace the throttle cable with a lokar univeral cable and the kickdown lever with a lokar kickdown cable conversion kit. it took me a while to get it tuned properly, but it runs well now considering the motor is original. i know this didnt help at all, i would say if it doesnt fit, easiest thing to do would replace the manifold with a matching edelbrock...

Last edited by a moderator:
I am using this carb, but with a weiand stealth manifold. the only issues i had were that i had to replace the throttle cable with a lokar univeral cable and the kickdown lever with a lokar kickdown cable conversion kit. it took me a while to get it tuned properly, but it runs well now considering the motor is original. i know this didnt help at all, i would say if it doesnt fit, easiest thing to do would replace the manifold with a matching edelbrock...
that's ok. Everything helps. I am trying not to have to go with another carb as I just bought this one and, while I want to develop my skills I don't have the time to do everything I want so I am concerned that changing a manifold might be biting off more than I can handle although I wont know unless I do it.

Ideally, I want to keep it stock but that might not be what is best.

I would replace the intake manifold with the performer model. This would take care of the secondary mismatch and the Ram Air system will still fit. Probably will notice a performance increase too.

I would replace the intake manifold with the performer model. This would take care of the secondary mismatch and the Ram Air system will still fit. Probably will notice a performance increase too.
Edlebrock Performer?

Is this a low enough manifold for the Ram Air to still fit

(credit card is warming up..........intake... :)

I think so. The only issue is I would have to place it on top of the EGR adapter plate and it would raise the whole set up just shy of an inch. I might not have clearance for the ram air.

I think so. The only issue is I would have to place it on top of the EGR adapter plate and it would raise the whole set up just shy of an inch. I might not have clearance for the ram air.

Edlebrock Performer?

Yes there are a couple of others here that have used this intake with the Ram Air system and had no issues.

Edlebrock Performer?

Yes there are a couple of others here that have used this intake with the Ram Air system and had no issues.
I was hoping to use the original manifold but a replacement may improve the car further. Are there any other modifications I will need to make if I go with that manifold?

It has been a very long time but, I think the adapter replaces the EGR plate and defeats the EGR system. You'd need to plug the EGR passage somewhere.

Chuck

Edlebrock Performer?

I was hoping to use the original manifold but a replacement may improve the car further. Are there any other modifications I will need to make if I go with that manifold?
EGR system will be eliminated so those vacuum lines will need to be plugged. I believe 71Mach1Lady used a performer intake, you may want to shoot her some questions you may have. I used a Blue Thunder which has a higher carb base and it still fit. The Edelbrock Performer is supposed to have the same height as the OEM manifold.

Back