Electric choke

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ehenry77

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Grande 302
Idle is high. Mechanic said the electric choke isn't functioning. Does my Summit carb have to have a Summit electric choke? Or are they a universal part? Cause I can't seem to find a Summit branded electric choke.

Have you verified its getting 12v and its grounded?
Definitely grounded. The hot wire traces back to the starter solenoid. Does that sound right? Cause I'm thinking that would only provide power while starting right?

1973 was the first year of the electric-assisted hot air choke. You should have a white wire with black stripe in the engine harness. That's the wire originally connected to the choke, it receives power from the alternator stator post.

1973 was the first year of the electric-assisted hot air choke. You should have a white wire with black stripe in the engine harness. That's the wire originally connected to the choke, it receives power from the alternator stator post.
So this is where it is hooked up currently. Ignition side of the starter relay I think? Second photo is a loose wire coming from the firewall. Is this the original choke power wire? If so should I clip it and wire the choke power to it?IMG_20240826_175103716~2.jpgIMG_20240826_175150238.jpg

The white wire with a black trace with a spade-like lead should be located near the starter solenoid area. I believe the choke wire would then plug into that white/black female spade lead.

The white wire with a black trace with a spade-like lead should be located near the starter solenoid area. I believe the choke wire would then plug into that white/black female spade lead.
The only white and black wire in the area of the solenoid runs from the alternator to the solenoid or into the mess of wiring that is in that area. No wires with spade like leads. It is possible that one of the previous owners deleted the wire.

The white w/black stripe will start in the alternator harness, to a plug below the starter solenoid which connects it to the main engine bay harness. That harness wraps around the front of the car, and then terminates that wire behind the passenger valve cover. There will be two flat rubber multi-plugs, the choke wire will be in the one with three wires. That should connect to the engine gauge feed harness on top of the intake. Pic below of the repop harness from NPD.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/wire-assy-engine-gauge-feed/150723/202876?year=1973

1724760253268.png

Back