Electric Power Assist steering (EPAS) anyone??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilco549

Reaction score
My Car
'72 Mach 1 roller
I'm bringing a '72 Mach 1 resto-mod back to life and it currently has manual steering. I'm intrigued by the Toyota EPAS mod but it sure looks tight in the steering column/under dash. I see a lot of cars being modded from '68 back but can't find anything on the later models. 

I realize I can add a hydraulic gear box relatively easily but getting rid of the pump and hoses would be a huge plus in my book.

Has it been done? Any help or feedback appreciated.

I've looked at these conversion, particulary the one using a Saturn column. Unfortunately the steering feel is my concern. I drove one of the donors and it was numb, numb, numb!

My 2015 Mustang has electric steering assist and it is great.

Until you can get the parts to do a manufacturer style installation, I think it is going to be a disappointing upgrade.

Of course I also think a Corvette C4 front suspension and rack and pinion unit can be fit to our cars and powered by an MR-2 electric power steering pump-so I may not be the one to listen to.

All,

OpenTracker Racing Products has a nice kit,

Electric Power Steering Conversion

$1,350.00

EPAS Performance provides an electrical power steering unit, adaptable to most vintage vehicles, so you can enjoy modern power steering on your classic car.

http://opentrackerracing.com/product/borgeson-power-steering-conversion/

Good looking kit. Tad bit high on the price.

mustang7173

All,

OpenTracker Racing Products has a nice kit,

Electric Power Steering Conversion

$1,350.00

EPAS Performance provides an electrical power steering unit, adaptable to most vintage vehicles, so you can enjoy modern power steering on your classic car.

http://opentrackerracing.com/product/borgeson-power-steering-conversion/

Good looking kit. Tad bit high on the price.

mustang7173

That is pretty cool.  Wonder how it would do in an autocross event.  I do like the idea of being able to tune the assist on the fly with a potentiometer.  Someone with a car that is together with a small mountain of cash needs to try this out.  I’d be worried about two things… 1) Overheating. 2) Noise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back