Engine Bay Painting

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Good Morning all my fellow 'stang enthusiats...

I am restoring a '72 Convertible and I read through a number of posts on this subject but still need a little insight to make sure I get it right. I want to paint all the real[/align]ly visible areas in the engine compartment with the same paint I am using on the exterior of the car. It is a very dark metallic pearl color (black sapphire pearl - 8U0). Can I just shoot the paint as is and then use a different hardener or is there something I just don't understand yet?

Many thanks for all the help.

John

Good Morning all my fellow 'stang enthusiats...

I am restoring a '72 Convertible and I read through a number of posts on this subject but still need a little insight to make sure I get it right. I want to paint all the real[/align]ly visible areas in the engine compartment with the same paint I am using on the exterior of the car. It is a very dark metallic pearl color (black sapphire pearl - 8U0). Can I just shoot the paint as is and then use a different hardener or is there something I just don't understand yet?

Many thanks for all the help.

John
you need to prep the engine compartment just as well as the exterior of the car..I'm assuming the color you picked is base coat /clear coat ..So painting is the same as the exterior..Base..then clear..What clear your using will spec what hardener to use for their system..See my thread on doing your engine compartment here for prep..The only thing different would be to spray a good quality 2k primer..after your epoxy primer then wet sand before paint..

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-doing-up-the-engine-bay

Back