Engine build advice

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don65Stang

Reaction score
My Car
Several.
I've built a few engines in the past (10+ years ago) but to Google engine build info is a nightmare of information overload.

I want to take my stock 5.0L roller block to the machine shop, have them do their thing and then I build the engine. The goal is a mild street engine with an occasional run up to 6,000 rpm. I want to use 87 octane, could go 89. This will be a driver.

It will have

• GT-40 heads 64cc (non-P)
  • headers
  • 4-speed
  • 3.50 T-lok rear

Machine work planned: 0.030 bore. Line bore. Balanced rotating assy. Zero deck the block. 3-angle valve job,

Intake? Weiand #7515 x-celerator or Weiand Stealth?

Pistons: cast, hypereutectic or forged? The stock pistons were forged.

Cam: ???

Valve springs: ???

Then get the small runner single plane intake from Weiand #7515 (like $175 new). It has better torq down low and power up high than the dual plane you mentioned. This will make a killer street/strip combo for you with GT40 irons. Use a stock shortblock, put Crower or TFS spring kit on your GT40's, 1.6 RR's, Anderson N-41 cam, Weiand #7515 X-Celerator intake, 1/2" or 1" phenolic 4-hole spacer 650 D-pumper, shorties or long tubes with some 3.73's or 4.10's and hang on! We run this exact combo, except we run otb TW heads and it dyno'd 315rwhp and 298 rwtq. Only been to the track once but it went 12.3 @ 112 spinning street tires. The 112 says it should go 12.0 or high 11's with traction. We run 4.10's. This cam is perfect for a street/strip car and sounds incredible if you like the lopey sound.

Back