Engine Building Advice Needed

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Louis, No offense taken by me. I also advocate doing as much of the work that an individual can do. However, the original question was can a 351W based stroker motor be built for 2000-3000 dollars. I don't believe it can. Obviously, other options based on the original engine are possible within the 3000 dollar budget. Chuck
Very well put chuck, The question was not to rebuild a 351W for 3 Grand but a stroked 351W. From what I have seen from building my 408c there is no way to do it yourself for that money and you can get a lot closer to that money with a crate motor.
Agreed Tn..I'd go this route..http://www.blueprintengines.com/index.php/ford-bpf4082ctfor a few more bucks you have a warrenty plus piece of mind this co builds awsome engines I bought the motor for my T/A from them & it was perfect ! I couldn't even buy the parts I needed for what I paid for a complete long block! If you go thru rock auto it may be even cheaper...

Nice link Q

Hey Louis - I think you did a great job of presenting your position and I wasn't offended at all. I, too, advocate doing as much of the work yourself because the pride factor can be awesome. I'm hoping to be there in a couple months myself. :)

Jeremy - well, there you go. Now you've heard a lot about the subject. YOU get to decide what you want to do, and, as others have said, we'll be here to support you no matter which direction you choose to go.

Doc

Louis, excellent post. You did forget to mention a GOOD torque wrench, a set of engine cleaning brushes and lots of lint free rags.

Jeremy, if you're going to do it yourself, talk to other car guys in your area and find a machinist with a good reputation one or two names will come up repeatedly in conversation. You cannot get parts clean enough when building your engine, just keep on cleaning... parts will look clean when they come back from the machine shop... clean them anyway.

Do not be afraid to tackle this job yourself, sometimes we learn the best when we get in "over our heads". Many knowledgeable members here can and will provide good advice and answers to your questions. Some of us can even give you our phone numbers if you need immediate assistance.

Every car guy needs to get the "I built my own engine" merit badge at least once. :D

I have spent $1,800 on my engine so far and that is just machine work.Another 300.00 for the cam. Still have to get the rings and bearings. I do the building myself. A good torque wrwnch is necessary as was stated and have a clean work area. If you take your time it isn't a bad job. Personally I like to do it myself,but I am old school that way.

Jim

No offense taken here either and most of us did say that if he is willing to do it himself as a learning experience all the power to him. One other thing to consider is how in a hurry is he to have it on the road. Me I wanted it on the road A.S.A.P because it was my first muscle car and did not want to wait to enjoy it.

I will be buying a 460 from a friend of mine and I plan on rebuilding /stroking that one but in the mean time my car will have an engine with which I can enjoy it. And I will be able to take as much time as I need to get the job done right Still don't know if I will be putting the big block in the stang. I might want to get a second car to put it in.

Like I said in my previous post no matter what you decide you will get all the help you need here

Jim, what sort of work did you have the machinist do? That seems pretty steep for a machinists bill...and you must have gotten a roller cam?

Louis,They sleved #5 cylinder, hot tanked,line bored,new freeze plugs,new cam bearings,added oil restrictors, polished the crank balanced everything. The cam is an Isky 280 mega. It would have cost me less if my regular machin guy could have done it, but he had a hip replacement. They have had the engine since the end of Oct. and still haven,t gotten it back. They said in about ten days. I hope racing season it coming fast.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
A stroker would be nice, but rebuilding a stock engine is doable if you just want a powerful, reliable daily driver. My stock 429 has plenty of power!

Some day I'd like to build an engine, just because I think it would be fun, interesting, and an awesome experience. Not for money savings. It's the same reason I want to build my own fly rod or a recurve bow. Just to do it.

Back