Engine Rebuild

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren 72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
Rebuilding the engine and found that the oil pan doesn't fit over the oil pump housing. The pan has a baffle in it and its hitting the oil pump housing. I noticed on the old pan someone took a hammer and bent the metal. They must have had the same problem. Its a high pressure oil pump. I think its a Melling or something like that. Same one that was in the car when I took it apart but I purchased a new one. Should I cut the baffle so it fits in the pan?

Also is this the right oil intake for a 73 engine? The lip may hit the bottom of the pan once I get through the oil pump housing issue.

Oil Pans.JPG

Oil screen.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm - looks like the same chrome pan as the one I installed on my 351C. Can you adjust the neck of the oil pump just a bit to clear the hole in the baffle? I think that's what I did on mine (not much either). I know it took a couple of test fittings and adjustments to slip on properly for mine as well.

It also looks like the screen surround on the oil pump is out of round as well - that might be what's hitting. Maybe make it round again, and it might clear.

Are you planning on a windage tray?

Hmmm - looks like the same chrome pan as the one I installed on my 351C. Can you adjust the neck of the oil pump just a bit to clear the hole in the baffle? I think that's what I did on mine (not much either). I know it took a couple of test fittings and adjustments to slip on properly for mine as well.

It also looks like the screen surround on the oil pump is out of round as well - that might be what's hitting. Maybe make it round again, and it might clear.

Why is the windage tray missing on the new pan?

The new pan has a slightly different baffle set-up than the old pan. But no, the windage tray is something different. I picked up a Canton windage tray for mine from Summit:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ctr-20-935/overview/year/1971/make/ford/model/mustang

Supposedly, it keeps the oil from splashing up onto the underside of the crank while it's spinning and create more drag as it does so. I don't know that it's necessary, but I put one in mine anyway.

I was asking because I had to make a lot of adjustments getting the windage tray installed, as well as the pick up for the oil pump with the baffles in the pan when I installed mine. I wouldn't cut anything until you're absolutely sure it simply won't fit.

The new pan has a slightly different baffle set-up than the old pan. But no, the windage tray is something different. I picked up a Canton windage tray for mine from Summit:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ctr-20-935/overview/year/1971/make/ford/model/mustang

Supposedly, it keeps the oil from splashing up onto the underside of the crank while it's spinning and create more drag as it does so. I don't know that it's necessary, but I put one in mine anyway.

I was asking because I had to make a lot of adjustments getting the windage tray installed, as well as the pick up for the oil pump with the baffles in the pan when I installed mine. I wouldn't cut anything until you're absolutely sure it simply won't fit.
It may be that they welded the front splash tray to high. I may have to adjust it somehow. Its the two bolt heads (out of 4) on the oil pump that's hitting the splash tray. Thanks for the windage tray advice. I was looking at the Canton's also. Look like decent ones. I think 2 and 4 main cap bolts get replaced when installing? It supposedly causes less drag on your engine and increases hp. Makes sense. I watched a video of two engines one with a windage tray and one with nothing. They had plastic clear covers on the front. The one w/o the tray was splashing everywhere.

Thanks,

D. Rolls

It may be that they welded the front splash tray to high. I may have to adjust it somehow. Its the two bolt heads (out of 4) on the oil pump that's hitting the splash tray. Thanks for the windage tray advice. I was looking at the Canton's also. Look like decent ones. I think 2 and 4 main cap bolts get replaced when installing? It supposedly causes less drag on your engine and increases hp. Makes sense. I watched a video of two engines one with a windage tray and one with nothing. They had plastic clear covers on the front. The one w/o the tray was splashing everywhere.

Thanks,

D. Rolls
One other thing, does the front splash tray on the new oil pan interfere with the windage tray or should there be no issues?

I believe it's thin enough that it should actually fit under there without having to change out the bolts. If it needs new bolts, it should come with them. Sorry for the ambiguous info, but it's been since Dec 2011 when I installed mine while building the engine. I do remember not having to go buy anything else to install the windage tray.

One other thing, does the front splash tray on the new oil pan interfere with the windage tray or should there be no issues?
There were no issues with the windage tray. My only hassles were with the pick-up of the oil pump. There's a "sweet-spot" to get the pick-up into the pan without anything hitting. I think I also might've 'adjusted' the pan to clear the pump's bolts as well.

Just don't 'adjust' too much to squish it down too far and trap the oil, preventing it from moving around.

Looks like a CJ oil pan (the stock one) they use a unique oil pump pickup.
I have the same pan (351C chrome) and I believe I got it from CJPP. The oil pump is a Melling stock unit from Summit Racing. Aside from some minor 'adjustments' (of both the pump and the pan - no cutting though), it eventually fit just fine.

I'm also assuming his engine is a 351C - but looking back, I notice he hasn't really said for sure. ;)

Back