Engine Rebuild

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren 72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
Hi Guys,

Quick question. How far does the harmonic go on? I assume it fits tight against the oil slinger which sits on the sprocket. I included a pic. Does the balancer need to be lined up with the pulleys or is it a set distance? The slinger was flopping around back and forth and now the damper is up against it somewhat snug. I also assume the slinger keeps the rubber seat around the damper oiled so it doesn't dry rot. Am I right?

Thanks

D. Rolls

Last edited by a moderator:
When installing an Edelbrock "true-roller" timing set instructions say not to install the factory oil slinger. All of the 302/5.0 engines I build are with a double roller or true roller, So I never use the slinger. If your going to use a stock timing set, I'd use it.

Yeah the harmonic dampener is tightened right up to the sprocket, won't go any further. Torque it to 80 ft lb +/- 5, You'll be good to go.

Tubo

When installing an Edelbrock "true-roller" timing set instructions say not to install the factory oil slinger. All of the 302/5.0 engines I build are with a double roller or true roller, So I never use the slinger. If your going to use a stock timing set, I'd use it.

Yeah the harmonic dampener is tightened right up to the sprocket, won't go any further. Torque it to 80 ft lb +/- 5, You'll be good to go.

Tubo
I do have a double roller chain but didn't read anything about it. It is a Comp set-up. What happens if the slinger is left on?

The double/true roller timing chain slings plenty enough oil, the slinger isn't needed, and could lead to incorrect harmonic dampener installation.

If in doubt, don't hesitate to contact the timing chain manufacturer.

Tubo

Back