Engine Trouble

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
Hi, I just wanted to throw this out there. What do you think happened with my engine? The car was driven about 2000 miles in 2 years, then in storage for 16 years, driven again for 2 years until I disassembled the engine because I wanted to find out about that weird sucking noise was every time I started the car and I discovered this sludgy oil and coolant mix in the engine, it was everywhere.  Pic was taken almost 2 years ago and engine has been rebuilt since... a 2nd time. Machine shop determined block was not cracked or anything (after magna flux) and I cannot believe engine ran in this condition! Drove the car off and on for a year before disassembly. I was losing a little coolant but oil level was always fine and oil on dipstick looked always fresh. There were no coolant leaks anywhere. After taking engine apart I noticed that Head gaskets were installed the correct way and I recall that the cam was never broken in (24 years ago) due to lack of knowledge.  

Thanks for your input.

IMG_0048.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
My initial guess would be head gasket failure or corrosion at cooling system mating surfaces (timing chain cover, intake manifold). Do you have any pictures of the head gaskets and mating surfaces? Chuck

My guess, on 302s (and most other non-Cleveland Ford engines), the coolant passages between the head and intake manifold require a slight coating of RTV sealant around them before installing the intake manifold. This kind of slight leak can be the result of not doing it, and most likely occurred as engine cooled.

A word of caution, don't leave coolant in the cylinders, even for a short time, or the cylinder walls can become pitted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back