equa loc vs. trac loc

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boilermaster

Reaction score
My Car
71 fastback
Just got around to looking at my rear diff (9'')

Never driven the car, it was supposed to be a 3.91 locking diff and 31 spline axles, but problems with one wheel peeling.

First thing I notice when I removed the fill plug is big bolt heads on the ring gear. (this should denote open diff)\

I pulled the axles, 28 spline and pull the center section, pinion = 10 teeth and ring gear = 37 teeth, and open as can be.

Previous owner states that he has a set of locking case halves, supposed to be NEW and all the clutch packs and gears and what not

sitting in a sealed can filled with gear lube.

have not seen the CAN as of yet but I do have the case halves.

after cleaning up the halves (rusty ) they do appear to be new,

problem is 5 tabs !!!

This should spell EQUALOC not TRACLOC !

Should one even go down this path ?

going after the can of parts tomorrow.

my present gears 3.70 look like new and are OEM ford and I intend to use them, the equaloc case halves are for a larger bearing size than my open set-up and are most likely for 31 spline, what to do.

After some investigation, I find that the motor company never offered

3.70 for a passenger car so I am thinking that my center section came

out of an econoline or F-100- 150.

is an EQUALOC set-up worth anything ?

thoughts and opinions please.

Boilermaster

It depends what your goal is, however, in my experience, the traction loc is far more popular.

The difference inside is that the Equal loc has 2 or 3 clutches and the pressure is generated by a belleville type spring which looks similar to a conical washer. The traction loc has 4 clutches and the pressure is generated by 4 conventional springs. When the clutches wear in the equal loc unit,the pressure applied by the belleville spring becomes less thereby reducing their holding capacity which can cause them to slip.

The gears in a traction lok increase the clamping force on the clutches under load which increaeses their resistance to slipping

When I first tore my diff. apart I thought I had an equa look . I ran the numbers on it and everything pointed to equa lok. I finally took to the machine shop to see if it was worth rebuilding. He looked it over and right away he asked me how much I paid for it, I told him I paid $50 for it and he replied that I got a heck of a deal. Turns out it was a trac lok. He said it was definitely worth rebuilding. Anyway, I would take it to the machine shop and let them identify it. They could probably let you know either way. Ryan

I wouldn't put money into equa-loc if it needs parts. I've run both and the equa-loc gives up to soon. Ford knew that and did the change over for that reason

Back