F150 300cid running like crap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1973grandeklar

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V
1972 Mustang 'Q' code Mach 1
My son called me yesterday saying his 1981 F150 is running like crap. He said it ws billowing out black smoke, would barely run unless he kept the throttle revved up, and it would die at the stoplights. He drove it over to my house and I saw the smoke and thought the carburator float is stuck open.

Opened the hood and saw gasoline literally coming out the top of the carb. This is a single barrel carb on top of the inline 300 six. We had just replaced his gas tank, sending unit, fuel lines, fuel pump, carburator less than one year ago (due to some jack wad vandalizing his truck).

With the crab off and on the bench, we carefully took the top air horn off. Everything looked super clean. Pulled the float off and removed the needle and seat. I looked down inside the seat and saw something jammed in it. Carefully took a pick and pushed the debris out. It was a peice of plastic that looked like it chipped off of something. But the fuel filter just in front of the inlet should of caught this?

We pulled the fuel filter off and I took a light to shine inside it (it was steel universal fuel filter). We could see that the inside was breaking down! WTH! Then I saw the real issue: "Made in China". We ran up and got a clear see through filter, put the carb back together and now the truck runs perfectly.

I can only surmise that the Chinese part is made from inferior materials and the manufacturer does not care!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ethanol in todays fuel eats the hell out of anything rubber and plastic!!!
True enough, but all the parts, including the filter are less than a year old. Manufacturers know that ethanol is used. It is not a mystery to specify a plastic that is compatible. However, it is easy for Chinese to substitute cheap plastic, which I think you can ask Aston Martin about!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back