Factory A/C Idler Pulley

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Striker169

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Grande 351C 40K original miles
I have a 1972 Grande with Factory A/C and I think I am missing the fixed A/C Idler pulley. I have the adjustable pulley but not the one that is between the clutch and the crank on the side of the power steering. Classic Auto Air says that all cars came with one meaning the A/C belt traverses the crank, adjustable idler, compressor clutch, and then a fixed idler pulley before going back to the crank. It makes sense as right now I have a lot of belt slap but I wanted to post and see if anyone has any photos of the belt routing with factory power steering, A/C, and alternator off a 72 351C?

I have a 1972 Grandé with Factory A/C and I think I am missing the fixed A/C Idler pulley. I have the adjustable pulley but not the one that is between the clutch and the crank on the side of the power steering. Classic Auto Air says that all cars came with one meaning the A/C belt traverses the crank, adjustable idler, compressor clutch, and then a fixed idler pulley before going back to the crank. It makes sense as right now I have a lot of belt slap but I wanted to post and see if anyone has any photos of the belt routing with factory power steering, A/C, and alternator off a 72 351C?
Here is a pic from a 72 with A/C. You can see all three belts in pic.

I have a 1972 Grandé with Factory A/C and I think I am missing the fixed A/C Idler pulley. I have the adjustable pulley but not the one that is between the clutch and the crank on the side of the power steering. Classic Auto Air says that all cars came with one meaning the A/C belt traverses the crank, adjustable idler, compressor clutch, and then a fixed idler pulley before going back to the crank. It makes sense as right now I have a lot of belt slap but I wanted to post and see if anyone has any photos of the belt routing with factory power steering, A/C, and alternator off a 72 351C?
Here is a pic from a 72 with A/C. You can see all three belts in pic.

And that is exactly what mine looks like however if you look at their catalog it shows an extra idler pulley:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a real good picture of my 73 351C with A/C, but I can tell you it looks just like Striker169's picture. I scanned the Compressor/drive belt page from the 1973 Ford Shop Manual for a 351C and it also matches Striker169's picture and my setup. It also does not indicate that it is the same as it is for a 302 CID either. So I don't think the diagram from Classic Auto Air that you post is incorrect for a 351C A/C car.

So I received the extra idler pulley from Classic Auto Air yesterday and got it installed and MAN it makes a difference, there is no more belt slap or noise it is whisper quiet and smooth now. Here is a picture:

And here is a video:

Latest posts

Back