Faded black grille

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1 460 crites headers,summit cam ,edelbrock dual plane hi-rise intake,edelbrock 780 carb,C-6 trans,Pertronix flamethrower 2 billet distributor & coil
I was just wondering if anyone that had a slightly faded (sun bleached) grille had any easy tips on if they could be brightened up a little somehow?

Temporary.... Armor All it. Spray it on a rag and wipe it down. In the long run repaint it.

Temporary.... Armor All it. Spray it on a rag and wipe it down. In the long run repaint it.
+1 to that....Or if you have alot of time on your hands...You can use some very fine sand paper to take the sun crust off..And make them look like new again...I use that trick on alot of plastic...From motor bike gas tanks to car plastic..Makes them like new again...But it takes alot of time on a grill...I would sand a little...Then buff it out with a rag with some oils in it....Painting is much easier thou...lol

Krylon semi-gloss black.

Dust it on, not too wet. Do several (4-5) coats.

My personal favorite.

You can use mothers back to black its a liquid you put on Matt or semi gloss black plastic or paint to get the correct look. Thing is you have to keep applying it ever few months and on a grill that is a ton of work. The common method is krylon semi gloss black paint after a good scrub and cleaning of the grill to get the dirt and loose stuff off.

Try a product called "303". I use it on my white water raft twice a year to keep the material in good shape. I've never been terribly impressed with Armorall. It seems to cause more problems over time than it solves.

Steve

Don't waste your time using Armorall. It will only go back to what it was and some of their products can actually lead to cracks in the plastic over time...I would recommend a trim restorer. I have some that I picked up at a local auto store (3D Auto) and it basically revives the black back on things like plastic, weather-stripping, hoses, etc. Plus, it keeps the look for long periods of time even after washing it...

Good Luck

I would also say its best to paint it.

I have used Krylon Fusion paint for plastics and been happy with the results. It flows well and is cheap.

They make a black satin color that would be perfect.

Thanks, Jay

Thanks for the input guys. I don't have the correct grill right now ,so I may not put the effort in yet . I have a lead on a used 1 that needs to be darkened a little.

Back