Fast ratio steering gear

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mustang Q-code
Since my original variable ratio steering gear has considerable play that I haven't been able to adjust out, I'm considering replacing it with a Lares 10807 fast 10:1 ratio (2.5 turns lock-to-lock) unit. I'm interested in anyone's experience with this ratio. Thanks!

I just took a quick look at the prices which are all over the place. Rock Auto by far the cheapest and Mustang Depot the highest. Do your due diligence.
If I didn't already have a rebuilt variable ratio sitting in a box ready to go and I needed a replacement, I'd definitely consider the Lares with the 201 rag joint.

I'm running the 807 reman box with the 10:1 ratio. I find it works fine with my car, not too fast and has a good effort. I will say the first box I bought had excessive preload and I had to warranty it, but RA made that process painless. It was at 35 in/lbs over the center, which is double the maximum factory spec. Second box was spot on. I would check any box you get before installation.

Last edited:
I put the Lares 10:1 box in my car a few years ago, and really like it. I did do the matching Lares rag joint, but sorry to say it didn't hold up too well. This winter I pulled my column to go through and clean & replace the shaft bearing, and found the rubber on the rag joint was in pretty rough shape.

I suspected this was a problem as last summer the steering had more play than previous years. I'm sure the slop in my wheel was a combination of an old shaft bearing and the rag joint.

After pulling the Lares coupler off, I was surprised to see how soft and pliable the rubber was. It is infused with a fine wire mesh, but I think it's probably too fine to really make the disc as stiff as it should be. It gives in almost any direction I want to twist it, and the wire mesh was emerging from the disc pretty much all over. It wasn't falling apart, but I was disappointed in how the disc lacked any stiffness. It just didn't seem that durable after 2-3 years of driving.

I didn't take pictures, unfortunately, but ended up rebuilding the rag joint using a polyurethane disc from NPD. feels much firmer and responsive. If I were you, I would do the 10:1 ratio box, but seriously consider looking for a different option for the steering coupler.

I put the Lares 10:1 box in my car a few years ago, and really like it. I did do the matching Lares rag joint, but sorry to say it didn't hold up too well. This winter I pulled my column to go through and clean & replace the shaft bearing, and found the rubber on the rag joint was in pretty rough shape.

I suspected this was a problem as last summer the steering had more play than previous years. I'm sure the slop in my wheel was a combination of an old shaft bearing and the rag joint.

After pulling the Lares coupler off, I was surprised to see how soft and pliable the rubber was. It is infused with a fine wire mesh, but I think it's probably too fine to really make the disc as stiff as it should be. It gives in almost any direction I want to twist it, and the wire mesh was emerging from the disc pretty much all over. It wasn't falling apart, but I was disappointed in how the disc lacked any stiffness. It just didn't seem that durable after 2-3 years of driving.

I didn't take pictures, unfortunately, but ended up rebuilding the rag joint using a polyurethane disc from NPD. feels much firmer and responsive. If I were you, I would do the 10:1 ratio box, but seriously consider looking for a different option for the steering coupler.
Interesting comments on the Lares 201 rag joint. So far, I've not seen that issue, but I'll certainly keep an eye on it. Good to know, thanks.
Did you think to bring that to Lares' attention?

No, but you're right I should. I actually ordered a new one to replace it before I ordered the NPD poly disc and while in better shape, I wasn't confident it would hold up any better.

I plan on getting the 10:1 lares from rockauto when funds allow.

I also plan on replacing my idler arm with the Opentracker roller unit while I am working on it

Last edited:
Back