Favorite 71-73 colors?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not know if it was originally available but White with Argent stripes and a red or blue interior has been on my mind lately.
I still think white with an argent stripes & trim package would look sick - added to a black/gray Mach 1 interior, black convertible top, and a set of the same 15x8 & 15x10 Magnum 500s with 235/60 & 295/50 BFGs like Greg's (Austin Vert).

I painted (Prepped and had a local shop shoot it) my first coupe Corvette yellow with black lower stripes and dyed the vinyl top black and the color combo was excellent. When the top deteriorated and the front of the hood paint had a little damage and a quarter got squished I repaired everything and took it back and we did a color change to grabber blue with black door jambs and lower stripes. Cleaned up the roof and removed some trim and smoothed and filled all the holes. Looked great too, but the Corvette Yellow was striking

I also like the medium bright Yellow but the Gold Glow is my favorite (My first car was a 72 Gold Glow Maverick)

Blue glow or izzt Glow blue metalic

Medium bright yellow

Light Pewter metalic

Raven Black

And very rarely, butt occasionally a;

Silver bottomed, Argent Mach1 striped, White interiored, Fingrnail polish Red 73 Vert

I guess Grabber Lime has grown on me the last 14 months. :p

I think medium bright yellow with black stripes hands down looks the best on these cars. Bummer mine is bright red.Well not to bright any more.Their to many red ones. Pewter looks real good to. You can't go wrong with the factory blues and greens.Paint one black and you will have one mean looking car.
I love the pickup and camper are they your's?
Yes,But there long gone. 71 F250 Camper special Powered by a 67 390 4v. The camper was a 76 Dyna Cruzer. I used that set up for years to tow my sand rail to the desert. I have since up graded to a little bigger desert rig.:D04-09-2010 056.jpg

Red, Red and then Red, Just a side note there are 4 colors I personally Hate because I had to spray and detail so much of it In a production Job I had 10 Years ago. Orange, Yellow, Lime Green and Plum crazy hate em hate em, hate em, hate em

Dont be offended if you have one of those colors its a personal thing for me. it would be a lot like like eating the same meal over and over again every day for 2 years.

Being a pro Auto Spraypainter for many a year, iv'e been involved with thousands of differant colors and color variations.

I divide colors into two main categories. Looks and practicalities.

Some colors are really not practical, where as some are.They are hard to keep clean, they hold or show scratches and blemishes easily,they get too hot, they fade, oxidize, or weather under UV exposure easily, they are not safe in relation to be easily seen on the roads by other motorists and predestrians,they show dirt easily,they remain soft, and the list goes on.

But when it comes to looks, there are many colors i like and think are good looking and attractive as well. I would have to say that even though my '73 is Gold Glow Metallic,and i like the color very much, white colored cars have always been my personal favourites. For example Chrysler's Alpine White is a really beautiful rich deep white. Ford's Whimbleton White looks pretty good as well.

What i also like about whites in general, is that they are a perfect marriage of good looks and good practicalities as well. A white car with the right black trim is a really timeless, striking combination in my humble opinion. Bottom line is color choice and preferences are always a personal thing with people, and always will be.

Greg.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just a little partial to Gold Glow for some reason. My other favorite was never on a 71-73 it was what I painted my V-8 Pinto, Silver Moondust Metalic. WHITE comes in third,brighter the better.

Richard:s

Being a pro Auto Spraypainter for many a year, iv'e been involved with thousands of differant colors and color variations.

Some colors are really not practical, where as some are.They are hard to keep clean, they hold or show scratches and blemishes easily,they get too hot, they fade, oxidize, or weather under UV exposure easily, they are not safe in relation to be easily seen on the roads by other motorists and predestrians,they show dirt easily,they remain soft, and the list goes on.

But when it comes to looks, there are many colors i like and think are good looking and attractive as well. I would have to say that even though my '73 is Gold Glow Metallic,and i like the color very much, white colored cars have always been my personal favourites. For example Chrysler's Alpine White is a really beautiful rich deep white. Ford's Whimbleton White looks pretty good as well.

What i also like about whites in general, is that they are a perfect marriage of good looks and good practicalities as well. A white car with the right black trim is a really timeless, striking combination in my humble opinion. Bottom line is color choice and preferences are always a personal thing with people, and always will be.

Don't ever ask an automotive painter about color, it's like asking someone for the time and they tell you how to build a watch :p

I can say that because I'm one too and whenever we have to paint anything in our house I over think the color WAY too much! I have owned many different color vehicles, most of which I've painted myself and I agree with everything Greg said about practicality (even though I own a black car) one thing I can say for sure is that color on a car has to be 'timeless'. What I mean by that is I've painted some of my cars kooky colors only to end up sick of them within 6mos to a year and selling them. Don't go with the 'fad' colors. They may look cool today, but tomorrow, they're just plain ugly and something cooler is available now. Basic black, white, blue, red, burgundy, silver, they're here to stay, and always look good!

Oh yeah, and to answer the original question, Grabber Blue has always been a personal favorite on '71-'73's. :)

My favorites have always been Blue Glow Metalllic, Grabber Blue, Gold Glow Metallic, Wimbeldon White, and Grabber Green (1970 version)

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Gold Glow Metallic

2. Bright Green Gold Poly/Bright Lime

3. Grabber Blue

This is my list of 71-73 favorite colours:

3k,

V,

Z,

3J,

9A

Don't ever ask an automotive painter about color, it's like asking someone for the time and they tell you how to build a watch :p

I can say that because I'm one too and whenever we have to paint anything in our house I over think the color WAY too much! I have owned many different color vehicles, most of which I've painted myself and I agree with everything Greg said about practicality (even though I own a black car) one thing I can say for sure is that color on a car has to be 'timeless'. What I mean by that is I've painted some of my cars kooky colors only to end up sick of them within 6mos to a year and selling them. Don't go with the 'fad' colors. They may look cool today, but tomorrow, they're just plain ugly and something cooler is available now. Basic black, white, blue, red, burgundy, silver, they're here to stay, and always look good!

Oh yeah, and to answer the original question, Grabber Blue has always been a personal favorite on '71-'73's. :)
Amen to that brother!! :udaman:

Greg.

Ok I'll weigh in. First off, let me say that bright lime would not have been my choice if I had ordered my car new or maybe I would have, I was ten in '72. But it is amazing what wheels, tires and stance will do to make an offbeat color somewhat acceptable. The first pic is of the car when I first looked at it and the second is after some changes. So I agree that some colors work better stock while others are suited to modifications. But I've got to say, I have been pondering how sinister it would look in black...hmm.

IMG_1000.JPG

m1.JPG

Gold Glow

Bright Green Gold

Medium Copper

Brown

Saddle Bronze Metallic

73 offered some of those best earth tone colors. Unique too.

Back