Favourite car movies

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny that you mentioned "Stingray".

I saw "Corvette Summer" at a sneak preview about a year before it was released, but at the time it was called "Stingray".

Then, the other movie called "Stingray" was released, and I never went to see it, thinking I had already seen it!

Then..."Corvette Summer" was released, and I went to see it, thinking I had never seen it. I realized right away I had as soon as it began. Interestingly, it was edited considerably from when I had seen it as "Stingray". Fran Drescher had a pretty significant scene as a Las Vegas streetwalker/ cop groupie in it originally, and all her scenes were completely excised in the new version.

I finally got around to seeing "Stingray". Didn't care for it.

Last edited:
Have you seen Stone? now thats the Mad Max appetizer, its basicly a pre Max Biker gang starring all the gang, Toecutter and Knightrider are the leaders , and Grant Paige even did all the Stunts!!!

Join up and I bet you'll find a couple of movies you've never seen before :)

Stone was pretty cool I know a few of the old blokes they got in for the fight scene at the pub. They are Hells Angels and the others are Nomads MC end up a real fight guess that's why it looks real in the move lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Interestingly, it was edited considerably from when I had seen it as "Stingray". Fran Drescher had a pretty significant scene as a Las Vegas streetwalker/ cop groupie in it originally, and all her scenes were completely excised in the new version.

I think it’s :

Fran Drescher=Hollywood Knights

Annie Potts=Corvette Summer

No, it was in Corvette Summer. Its the scene where the cops have just pulled Vanessa and Kenny over in the van when they were chasing the vette. As the one cop is telling Kenny " Radio...faster than rubber", Fran Drescher is sitting on the hood of the cruiser and the other cop is flirting with her. It is the only scene she was in. Annie Potts, of course, was in practically the whole movie. All the Fran Drescher scenes are cut from the released version.

No, it was in Corvette Summer. Its the scene where the cops have just pulled Vanessa and Kenny over in the van when they were chasing the vette. As the one cop is telling Kenny " Radio...faster than rubber", Fran Drescher is sitting on the hood of the cruiser and the other cop is flirting with her. It is the only scene she was in. Annie Potts, of course, was in practically the whole movie. All the Fran Drescher scenes are cut from the released version.
I figured it’d be a short movie without Annie Potts but heck our local Saturday night Horror Host could do it. He fits a two hour movie, commercials and a lot of his own face time into a one hour slot.

Hi

I included Speedtrap ages ago I love that film, and Supervan Rocks, Heaven is Burning is one of the next films to go on after Mad Max (I didnt want to include the obvious ones first) I'm not sure I've seen the Last Chase? and Crash is included but I suspect its a different film to the one you mentioned.

Man! Dead end Drive in I have been sort of convinced I'm the only person in the world to have seen this, I'm not too sure about the quality of it but I love its punk style!

Have you seen Stone? now thats the Mad Max appetizer, its basicly a pre Max Biker gang starring all the gang, Toecutter and Knightrider are the leaders , and Grant Paige even did all the Stunts!!!

I saw Corvette Summer at the drive in and felt it was okay. I liked Stingray for it's black humor, more my speed.
Oh, I almost forgot one of my all time favorite car movies (even though it's not really a car)......The Big Bus.

With consideration that 'car movies' typically lack in any kind of actual credible plot, I submit:

No Man's Land

The Wraith

Gone in 60 Seconds - remake (haven't seen the original yet)

Smokey and the Bandit (all three)

Hooper

White Lightning

The Duel

Christine

The Fast and Furious

The Cannonball Run

American Graffiti

Driven

The Road Warrior

Ronin

The Transporter

Tucker: The Man and his Dream

Most of the movies others have listed I haven't actually seen - so I'll be using this thread to 'catch up' on all the cool car movies I've missed out on. ;) :D

My personal favorite is the original Gone in Sixty Seconds.

Joe

Wow, was watching this to see if anyone was going to mention this and so far it hasn't been yet. I agree with Charlie Safari, into the dark type car movies as most have mentioned the norm for me, Christine, The Wraith, Mad Max's but the one i remember watching as a young kid that i remember scaring the piss out of me is "The Car". The scene with the guy with the tuba for some reason is hilarious how it keeps running over the guy over and over. But hasn't been mentioned yet and i love this movie even with all the cheesey gooeyness lol

[video=youtube]

[/align]

The Car is one of my favorites. Saw it as a kid on a double feature with Rollercoaster.

Guillermo del Toro (the movie director...HellBoy and Pan's Labyrinth) had a replica made for his brother.

There is a Futurama episode where Bender gets hit by a car and then every full moon he turns into The WereCar...looking just like The Car with the same horns!

I always liked Death Race and was surprised at how much of the little details in the story they kept in the new one., which I also liked. The sequel not so much.

Here you go:

[video=youtube]

I remember watching that movie as a kid in a open air movie night in Mount Carbine Far North QLD as a kid thought it was cool at the time. I also remember there was about 6 of us little kids that had the job of murdering cane toads as they came onto the lawn :)

Definitely

White Lightning

Christine

Vanishing Point

but I have to raise the bar here.... one not mentioned that literally started it all THUNDER ROAD!!!! of course only you ole rascals will remember THAT one.

Maybe it's been done before. But here we go. These are mine

Running from the guns

Running on empty

2 lane black top

Vanishing point

Mad Max

Gumball Rally

Death proof

Heaps more but these are in the top of my list.

Vanishing Point (1971) - 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T, 440.

Gone in 60 Seconds (1974) The iconic H.B. Halicki version not the crappy remake. - 1973 Ford Mustang Mach I.

Dirty Mary Crazy Larry (1974) - 1969 Dodge Charger R/T 440.

Bullitt (1968) - 1968 Ford Mustang 390 GT 2+2 Fastback -vs- 1968 Dodge Charger 440 Magnum.

The Gumball Rally (1976) - 1966 Ford Shelby Cobra 427.

Diamonds are Forever (1971) - 1971 Mustang Mach I.

Get these movies and try not to drool too much. :D

--

Joe

but I have to raise the bar here.... one not mentioned that literally started it all THUNDER ROAD!!!! of course only you ole rascals will remember THAT one.
Or maybe not so 'ole'!
Not exactly 'car'...but since Duel gets mentioned, I think I can sneak in my favorite truck movie.

Sorcerer (William friedkin and Roy Scheider:

[video=youtube]

I have to admit that I thought "Thunder Road"sucked! Boring story and terrible car action.

Or maybe not so 'ole'!
Not exactly 'car'...but since Duel gets mentioned, I think I can sneak in my favorite truck movie.

[video=youtube]

Sorcerer was a good one but I like watching an M211 in just about any movie. Wages of Fear (1953) is good too.

IMGP4069.jpg

Or maybe not so 'ole'!

Sorcerer was a good one but I like watching an M211 in just about any movie. Wages of Fear (1953) is good too.

Actually "Sorcerer" was a remake of "Wages of Fear". They are 2 of my favorite movies. I was disappointed when the DVD was released because the transfer was not very good but still worth checking out. I wished Friedkin would have done a commentary track. Oh well, maybe for the Blu-ray (if they ever make one). :dodgy:

You guys should also check out "The French Connection (1971)". It had one of the best chase scenes in movie history. I would have to say between it and "Bullitt (1968)" kind of set the standard.

It was also fun to watch because my brother drove the same a 71 Pontiac LeMans (same color and trim) used in the chase scene.

--

Joe

Or maybe not so 'ole'!

Actually "Sorcerer" was a remake of "Wages of Fear". They are 2 of my favorite movies. I was disappointed when the DVD was released because the transfer was not very good but still worth checking out. I wished Friedkin would have done a commentary track. Oh well, maybe for the Blu-ray (if they ever make one). :dodgy:

You guys should also check out "The French Connection (1971)". It had one of the best chase scenes in movie history. I would have to say between it and "Bullitt (1968)" kind of set the standard.

It was also fun to watch because my brother drove the same a 71 Pontiac LeMans (same color and trim) used in the chase scene.

--

Joe
I've seen both, but have not seen the third version (Hell's Highway) yet. I prefer Sorcerer for the mood and the music by Tangerine Dream. It gives it a feeling that the characters can't quite believe what's happening is real, like a waking nightmare.

Back