Firearms Advice Needed!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you're confident enough to use iron sights out to 250 yards I'd say get a pistol. I wish I could hit targets at 250 yards with out a scope, but my eyesight sucks.

If you're thinking you can get two scopes for the cost of a pistol, you may want to get one good scope.

Ok I'll bite just for the fact I picked up my latest pistol. Model 28 s&w 357 mag N frame. It's used of course but still in a holster most of its life I couldn't pass it up at $400.

Firearms you just have to try them out, there is no perfect gun for everyone. The basics for me is to have a shotty, a rifle and 1 semi auto pistol and 1 revolver. Once you got that then build the goodies up. Just my .02.
Got a couple model 27's 357's..model 19-2 pc magna 357...colt python 357 and some old black powders....and a nice rare Model 25-2 in 45 Auto..I hear it was the real gun dirty harry used in his movie...Not the 44 mag...They used the 45 cause the end of the barrel looked bigger and same frame..lol...I like them wheel guns sometimes..hehe

As for type of gun anyone should get...Is what feels good for you...I dont think there are many guns i dislike thou...And i got a big selection of modern and vintage weapons from 1863 up too 2000's.

Hyena, I think you got me beat there haha. It's my first wheel gun but I'm seriously considering the magna grips, the targets just slightly too big for my hands. I just hope they won't look funky on the 6in. I'll just wait till I shoot it for a bit and see how it works, I've been told they are excellent range guns. I really wanted something that wasn't going to beat my palms to death after 100 rounds like my ccw shield does. With current supply of .22lr right now I don't want to go shooting that up.

I have had the same dilemma over the years and now have many in need of optics . :p Unfortunately , I just liquidated a couple safe queens to do a control arm kit . :( just do what makes you smile . :D

Hyena, I think you got me beat there haha. It's my first wheel gun but I'm seriously considering the magna grips, the targets just slightly too big for my hands. I just hope they won't look funky on the 6in. I'll just wait till I shoot it for a bit and see how it works, I've been told they are excellent range guns. I really wanted something that wasn't going to beat my palms to death after 100 rounds like my ccw shield does. With current supply of .22lr right now I don't want to go shooting that up.
Ya..i really like the pc magna grips on my 357..I dont mind the target grips cause i got big hands..But the magna grips work great for me too...PC just means plain clothes magna grips..they have rounded off bottoms for conceal carry...So they dont show a outline as much...But it is in the picture above high and too the left...I recommend the magna grips to anyone with smaller hands..or bigger..I think they good universal grip for S&W factory.

Btw...It has a 6 inch barrel and does not look funky at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah it was a little fuzzy but I get the picture. I will try it out and see how it works. I don't this ill ever try to carry this though its a bit heavy.

Ok I'll bite just for the fact I picked up my latest pistol. Model 28 s&w 357 mag N frame. It's used of course but still in a holster most of its life I couldn't pass it up at $400.

Firearms you just have to try them out, there is no perfect gun for everyone. The basics for me is to have a shotty, a rifle and 1 semi auto pistol and 1 revolver. Once you got that then build the goodies up. Just my .02.
Got a couple model 27's 357's..model 19-2 pc magna 357...colt python 357 and some old black powders....and a nice rare Model 25-2 in 45 Auto..I hear it was the real gun dirty harry used in his movie...Not the 44 mag...They used the 45 cause the end of the barrel looked bigger and same frame..lol...I like them wheel guns sometimes..hehe

As for type of gun anyone should get...Is what feels good for you...I dont think there are many guns i dislike thou...And i got a big selection of modern and vintage weapons from 1863 up too 2000's.
I have a 25-2 that's been set up for competition shooting with a slab side bull barrel, bomar sights, and bobbed hammer...squeezing the trigger on that 45 is like shooting a 22...no recoil and very accurate. but I don't like the moon clips

I like the moon clips ..hehe..Plus i got 2 boxes full of moon clips for it...Nice and fast for me..and got 2 removal wrenches with it...Mine atleast has the wide trigger and hammer..but i dont plan to ever shoot it in compition..hehe..Is yours the 45 long colt version?

Ah it was a little fuzzy but I get the picture. I will try it out and see how it works. I don't this ill ever try to carry this though its a bit heavy.
Ya..Most 6 inchers a bit much for carry in town that is for sure...Was just explaining the diffrence in the magna grips...I had to do alot of research on that model 19-2...Was hard to find one set up like it..hehe..there are a few good sets of magna and pc magna grips online...I like them just for shooting..I do not carry mine..Got a smaller one for in town..And a bigger one for the woods..So the 357's is just for fun and collecting...They realy climing in price..Specialy for the older ones with pinned barrels and recessed cylinders.

Lovin all the feedback! I understand that a firearm is a very personal choice, but I like to hear about what everyone else has used and what they like, I use it as a bit of a starting point to know what to look at and for, otherwise it can be a bit overwhelming out there because there are so many options.

What I'm thinking at this point is this:

I'm going to go ahead and pick up a scope for the Scout so that I can really utilize the .308 cartridge, for this I'm looking at a new Scout style scope from Burris, a 2-7x32 http://www.burrisoptics.com/scout2x7x.html

I'll see if I like that, and if so stick with it, otherwise I may take the rail off the Scout and put a more traditional style scope on it.

I'm also going to look at getting a 9mm as well, it's only money right? I love my 1911 but .45 is a bit pricey at the moment (and 9mm is a bit hard to find). I'm not really looking for concealed carry, living in California (for the time being) it's just not worth the aggravation of trying to get my license for the 5 months I have left here. I am going to take a look at the HK P30 (I've liked the HKs every time I've seen em, but I've only ever seen the ~$1200 USP) I still love the Beretta 92FS, and I'm warming up to some others out there as well.

This weekend is a road trip for me and some buddies out to Lake Havasu City to check out a gun shop there that's supposed to be huge so I will hopefully be able to A-B compare a few.

Thanks for all the input so far guys! Feel free to keep the opinions coming.

a start.jpgHmm...missing a few here...Undoubtably stuffed in a forgotten cubby hole waiting to be rediscovered. Anyway, my 25-2 is still ACP but as you can see from the pic it has been tinkered with a little

Hmm...missing a few here...Undoubtably stuffed in a forgotten cubby hole waiting to be rediscovered. Anyway, my 25-2 is still ACP but as you can see from the pic it has been tinkered with a little
Aww alot of shine there...Any of them nickle? And yes some nice looking custom work on that 25-2...And surpized it is ACP still..Most get them converted to 45 long colt..Which i like my ACP....Ammo alot cheaper..lol

And nice custom 1911..Who originaly made it?..I need to pick up a regular 1911...all i got is my amt 45 win mag..Below..Talk about hard to get ammo for thou....And a little mini 1911 called a astra cub in 22 short! lol...Little guy below the old colts..lol

Lovin all the feedback! I understand that a firearm is a very personal choice, but I like to hear about what everyone else has used and what they like, I use it as a bit of a starting point to know what to look at and for, otherwise it can be a bit overwhelming out there because there are so many options.

What I'm thinking at this point is this:

I'm going to go ahead and pick up a scope for the Scout so that I can really utilize the .308 cartridge, for this I'm looking at a new Scout style scope from Burris, a 2-7x32 http://www.burrisoptics.com/scout2x7x.html

I'll see if I like that, and if so stick with it, otherwise I may take the rail off the Scout and put a more traditional style scope on it.

I'm also going to look at getting a 9mm as well, it's only money right? I love my 1911 but .45 is a bit pricey at the moment (and 9mm is a bit hard to find). I'm not really looking for concealed carry, living in California (for the time being) it's just not worth the aggravation of trying to get my license for the 5 months I have left here. I am going to take a look at the HK P30 (I've liked the HKs every time I've seen em, but I've only ever seen the ~$1200 USP) I still love the Beretta 92FS, and I'm warming up to some others out there as well.

This weekend is a road trip for me and some buddies out to Lake Havasu City to check out a gun shop there that's supposed to be huge so I will hopefully be able to A-B compare a few.

Thanks for all the input so far guys! Feel free to keep the opinions coming.
Looks like a good scope...I have not used any of the modern burress scopes ..But they got a good rep for not being over priced and decent optics

As for the 45 and 9mm...Ever think about 40 cal? Which is a good inbetween round and still not over priced...Berretta makes some kick arse 40 cal pistols...So does glock at the rest thou..I shot a springfield xd in 40 cal..And i think they are a good bang for the buck.

Hyena, the 1911 is a caspian frame and slide that I purchased in 1991. From there I fitted a barstow match barrel, wilson dual port comp, king trigger, S&A mag well, bomar sights, and all the rest of the parts are wilson combat including shock buffer and two piece guide rod. I used to race this gun in local events but back then I was competing with guys like Bill Wilson, Jerry McCullough, Jerry Mclick, and several more trophy winners so a beginner didn't stand a chance with these guys shooting. But I learned a lot and had a "blast" while making some friends. They closed all the outdoor steel challenge matches around here in favor of urban combat stuff which I never was into. I enjoyed the bowling pin matches too which is where the 25-2 N frame fit in.

I carry a Kahr PM40 on my ankle, a Kel Tec 380 in my pocket and a Glock 22 on my side everyday at work. When off , I always have the Kel Tec in my pocket, it's super concealable and better then a stick or harsh language!

Smith and Wesson M&P line. Affordable and good quality. Basically a cheaper prettier glock.
I'm a Smith and Wesson M&P fan, so are growing numbers of PD's... although the glock still has the majority of that market.

Jim

There's some pretty pieces casp, mmmm 1911.
Yeah but kinda worried about where I hid the rest of them :huh: maybe my part timers is getting worse...LOL...I know the Khar 40 is with a friend, but can't remember where my 9mm or 32 acp is, I'm sure they could use some oil

Back