Firearms Advice Needed!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before this latest gun grab effort 9mm was around $0.26 per FMJ round and .40 was around $0.33. 45 acp was $0.36. All prices are for WWB FMJ at Walmart.

9mm has historically been cheaper. However, in my area 380 acp, 9mm and .22 lr was the first to disappear off the shelf. 45 acp hung on a while longer and .40 hung on a good while into the scare. Then it was all gone from the shelves.

My opinion is to have a pistol or two in each caliber b/c who knows what ammo will be available. I mean .22 ammo? - really .22 ammo! Who would hjave predicted that one? Not me.

.22lr is still a rare sight around here. My local gun shop has any and everything else. The owner claims that manufactures ramped up production of ther center fire cartridges and the rim fire rounds got put on back burner so maybe in a few months .22lr will be around.

When it does I'm buying a ton just to have in case this crazy mess starts up again I will still be able to have fun with the wife at the range.

Everyone needs a 10mm. :D
a 40 S&W is a trimmed 10mm

I was actually looking for a new pistol the other day and came across these.

http://xdspistol.com

look nice for concealment.
I have shot several XD's and all have been very accurate but I like a hammer on my guns. And I just never did trust a decocker.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess they were afraid to shoot a 357 mag, 45 win mag, or 44 mag...sissies :p and I see they only used low velocity 40 and 45 ammo to make the 10 look better

Caliber wars... gotta love it
Yeah they have been doing that since the beginning. but the truth of it is even a pellet gun can kill so you don't need a 50 BMG for a squirrel. More people have been fatally wounded with a 22LR than any other caliber in history so be careful people.

You can buy more power and more power but the more horrendous the power, the less you will want to shoot it. The more comfortable and familiar you are with your chosen weapon the more effective you will be with it. We shoot 9mm +P frangible rounds. Won't shoot your neighbor, what you hit will absorb all the bullet energy and the frangible round will inflict the massive wound track you want. The biggest gun that doesn't hit its target still doesn't serve your purpose or just get a 12 ga shotgun

You can buy more power and more power but the more horrendous the power, the less you will want to shoot it. The more comfortable and familiar you are with your chosen weapon the more effective you will be with it.

The biggest gun that doesn't hit its target still doesn't serve your purpose or just get a 12 ga shotgun
Well said Jenny.

Yep, Well said.

I really enjoy shooting suppressed subsonic .22 and subsonic .38 special. I have a couple setups where the sound from the hammer fall is louder than the shot... And teh sound of the bullet slapping teh target is even louder :)

Although, I would never use a suppressor for self defense... A good prosecutor would have a field day.

You can buy more power and more power but the more horrendous the power, the less you will want to shoot it. The more comfortable and familiar you are with your chosen weapon the more effective you will be with it. We shoot 9mm +P frangible rounds. Won't shoot your neighbor, what you hit will absorb all the bullet energy and the frangible round will inflict the massive wound track you want. The biggest gun that doesn't hit its target still doesn't serve your purpose or just get a 12 ga shotgun
I have tested a few of these rounds my self...And like a lot of people..I dispute there claims...I have shot a lot of low speed lead rounds..Including black powder...And most has too much energy and will fly threw you and the house..

http://www.ballistics101.com/personal_defense.php Good read on defense rounds.. Most defense rounds that will kill a person..Will go right through your home too...Dry wall and wood wont even stop a good bb gun..Let alone any round strong enough to kill a person....reason why low power shot guns like 410 and the judge are best in town home defense gun in my option....I have shot at huge frozen blocks of old meat with all kinda of defensive rounds hoping to find or dig the round after it and show people..With no luck!! Most fly threw like a laser hit it..lol..Or just simply explode with out making much of a dent on the meat..lol

Frangible rounds may penetrate more/further than they claim, but it's a fact that Ball ammo will penetrate further than hollow point which will penetrate further than frangible.

And... even if frangible ammo makes it through a wall, it will carry less energy into its next impact.

Back