FiTech EFI Install

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All,

Another update here! A friend of mine who has 2 of the FiTech 600 Hp's EFI's found this on the FaceBook FiTech Technical Support group.

Fitech just posted this to the fitech facebook group.  I still have not figured out how this affects us, but you need to read it....

Here is the be all end all on fuel pressure. Please read fully before Commenting.

IGNORE all previous instruction besides what is below. Our new instructions will have the below in them.

Go Street, Mean Street = 43 PSI

(if you are using an FCC simply change your EFI regulator over to the FCC and vise versa, for all external regulators set them to 43PSI) Go EFI 4 600, 600 PA, 1200PA, Dual Quad 625HP, Dual quad 1200PA = 58PSI If you have a FCC, Inline pump kit, aftermarket inline kit, aftermarket in tank pump kit, aftermarket return style regulator, aftermarket filter regulator (corvette filter regulator), or any other combination of the ones above, then you can use them with our system so long as they are set to the respective pressures for that unit.

Vacuum line routing:

The regulator vacuum line MUST be connected to MANIFOLD vacuum (rear passenger side 3/16 vacuum port), this is true for ALL regulators we offer. Be that on single Throttle Body, Dual Quad (both regulators if using both return ports, single regulator if your only using one TB for return), or FCC. You can "T" into this line if you need manifold vacuum for other accessories. For boosted applications you must route the regulator to a boost reference. For blow thru applications it would go to the same rear passenger 3/16 vacuum port on the TB, for draw thru applications (roots style supercharged, draw through turbo) we must route the vacuum reference to below the supercharger or in the intake in some fashion to get both vacuum and boost reference from this location for proper pressure compensation.The regulators need vacuum to help lower the fuel pressure at idle or increase fuel pressure under boost which helps fuel trim needs of the system to properly control fuel and AFR Fuel pump restrictions:

340LPH or lower LPH can be used directly with our system with our regulators. If you are using a larger pump (anything larger than 340LPH such as an Aeromotive A1000 for example) than you must use and external regulator system with its own return (making sure to block our return with the supplied plug) and set the regulator to to respective pressure for that unit.

Over pressure:

If you are using a fuel system with a Mean street, or the Go Street and cannot regulate down to 43PSI, the system will compensate but it may make your trim and learn percentage pull out fuel and this could affect your overall fueling and could be slightly rich at idle. It won't damage anything but it won't be optimal for fuel consumption.

To swap regulators follow these instructions:

Release fuel pressure by cracking the feed line loose that goes to the throttle body, it will leak fuel and release pressure. Retighten line once this is done. Next remove two Allen screws securing regulator hold down to the passenger-side (non-linkage side), remove hold down and pull regulator out, you may need to rotate the regulator back and forth as you pull to get it out easier. Repeat this process on the FCC regulator. With both regulators out grease both the large upper o-rings and the small lower o-rings with lithium based grease. With that done slowly slide each regulator into its respective port, they will slide in smoothly with little effort DO NOT force them in as this will damage the o-rings. then install hold down and Allen screws and snug them down. you have now switched regulators.

If you need any further info you can look at our tech forum/tech article section of fitechefi.com

One part that grabbed our attention is this:  Go Street, Mean Street = 43 PSI

So, I called FiTech Support and stated that I had the LS1 fuel regulator/fuel that was set to 58 PSI. The LS1 has a built return and this is how I have my return line setup. Could this my problem with the idle going from 800 RPM's to 1200 RPM's every other minute? Support stated that the 58 PSI could be causing this issue.  Now, since FiTech has stated the reduced the fuel PSI, I will need to re-configure my return line to take advantage of the built pressure regulator.  

I did some research on the FiTech EFi systems, and almost all pictures that saw, they had the return fuel plumed.

This weekend will be the return fuel line re-configuration fun.

mustang7173
Interesting. Thank you for posting. I am trying to understand how this would affect an external pump system that has no regulator and relies on FitTech's throttle body regulator.
tony-muscle,

I was reading a brochure and instructions that came with my FiTech system, while my Workstation was updating,  and read of the three fuel inlets that are available to the FiTech system. Since the fuel would come from one of those points, it would fill up the fuel chambers. The fourth point, the return line, would be sensed, the regulator would actively regulate the pressure per the preset pressure. Just one of those Ah ha moments there!  

My current set may work better on the HP-600 FiTech that would required the higher fuel pressures due to the higher horse power of the target engine. My current setup here is not a very good plan here at all.

mustang7173   :)

Last edited by a moderator:
All,

Finally finished my return fuel line. Just wore me out. Not the spring chicken I once was. The silver line is the Classic Tubes fuel line. The green is the one I modified to fit along the current fuel line path.

image processing service

Any Questions, please ask.

All,

An update to the FiTech saga! I sent my FiTech 400 back to FiTech for evaluation since the rpms oscillates. FiTech found no issues. They did send me a new O2 sensor. I found a new FiTech Forum that is not bad.

https://www.fitechefituning.com/

One item that stood out was the Tach wiring and EMI interference.

Excerpt from Wiring FiTech Forum

Seems the blue tach wire is very vulnerable to electronic noise or RF noise, which interferes with the tach signal and it can cause an over rich condition. I had this problem and being an electronics guy that fixes CT scanners I decided to find an easy solution.

I went to my local electronics store and bought 6' of braided RF shielding. I then soldered a ground wire on to the shielding that was later attached to the chassis. Once that was done I pulled the blue wire out of the FiTech harness and installed the shielding. Put the wire back in the harness and ran it through my firewall along with every other wire in my engine compartment. My ignition box (Mallory High-fire 6al) is under my dash. Once all my wires where ran I connected the blue tach wire to my yellow tach wire from the box and grounded the shielding with the ground wire i installed earlier. I also installed a couple of EMI RF clamps. Using my Fluke 1503 ground tester I got a reading of 0.73 ohms resistance between the negative battery post and any point on my shielding.

This takes about 15 min to do and will almost guarantee you don’t get noise on the tach wire. The shielding cost less than a $1 a foot and the clamps probably aren’t needed but i had them laying around. Every system may not need this but its cheap insurance IMO

I will be doing this weekend.

All,

An update to the FiTech saga! I sent my FiTech 400 back to FiTech for evaluation since the rpms oscillates. FiTech found no issues.  They did send me a new O2 sensor. I found a new FiTech Forum that is not bad.

https://www.fitechefituning.com/

One item that stood out was the Tach wiring and EMI interference.

Excerpt from Wiring FiTech Forum

Seems the blue tach wire is very vulnerable to electronic noise or RF noise, which interferes with the tach signal and it can cause an over rich condition. I had this problem and being an electronics guy that fixes CT scanners I decided to find an easy solution.

I went to my local electronics store and bought 6' of braided RF shielding. I then soldered a ground wire on to the shielding that was later attached to the chassis. Once that was done I pulled the blue wire out of the FiTech harness and installed the shielding. Put the wire back in the harness and ran it through my firewall along with every other wire in my engine compartment. My ignition box (Mallory High-fire 6al) is under my dash. Once all my wires where ran I connected the blue tach wire to my yellow tach wire from the box and grounded the shielding with the ground wire i installed earlier. I also installed a couple of EMI RF clamps. Using my Fluke 1503 ground tester I got a reading of 0.73 ohms resistance between the negative battery post and any point on my shielding.

This takes about 15 min to do and will almost guarantee you don’t get noise on the tach wire. The shielding cost less than a $1 a foot and the clamps probably aren’t needed but i had them laying around. Every system may not need this but its cheap insurance IMO

I will be doing this weekend.
Thank you for the tip. I have not had problems with the tach, but I am interested in this. Did you shield only the "blue" wire all the way from the ignition box to the FiTech module, or did you also shield the wire that goes to the tach inside the car?

Tony,

I am looking into shielding the FiTech harness, blue wire, that connects to the ignition coil or to the tach out wire from a CDI box. It is the wire the FiTech EMC reads. The EMI could come from the Coil and the alternator.

I am not looking into shielding the factory tach wire. From what I have read, grounding is very important.

Tony,

I am looking into shielding the FiTech harness, blue wire, that connects to the ignition coil or to the tach out wire from a CDI box. It is the wire the FiTech EMC reads. The EMI could come from the Coil and the alternator.

I  am not looking into shielding the factory tach wire.  From what I have read, grounding is very important.
You are right, grounding the shield is important. This document has a good explanation: https://www.mouser.com/pdfdocs/alphawire-Understanding-Shielded-Cable.pdf

Basically, the shield reflects some of the energy, from what is not reflected some is then conducted. If not grounded, then it can't be conducted.

that's a great idea. I will be installing the wiring tomorrow. I actually have a few ignition noise suppressors I can toss in there as well. I really like the routing of your fuel line,

All,

Replaced my valve cover gaskets Saturday. Installed Vacuum Smoker and, Dang it! The stupid intake is leaking again. I had replaced the intake gasket not long ago. Back to the re-installation process. You Tube, he we go!

Found a good You Tube on aluminum head to aluminum intakes install.

so the FiTech is all installed. but I'm having trouble getting to start up easy and run correctly. I have to open the throttle after it fires and rev it a little to get it to stay running and idle. what settings did you play with that helped the most? I've already raised and lowered the cold cranking adjustment and it didn't help much.

so the FiTech is all installed.  but I'm having trouble getting to start up easy and run correctly.  I have to open the throttle after it fires and rev it a little to get it to stay running and idle.  what settings did you play with that helped the most?  I've already raised and lowered the cold cranking adjustment and it didn't help much.
In this guide check the section about idle in Page 4, http://fitechefi.com/fitech-uploads/2016/07/QuickStartGuideFinalV5.pdf

I think that once you adjust the "idle" screw it would work well. Ignore the whole stuff about timing in that document. Then make sure you follow the instructions to set IACs: http://fitechefi.com/tech-posts/fitech-efi-basic-setup-instructions/

she, I missed that part. I thought these only one there was the iac screw. thanks!! I'll go try it

All,

Here is the issue with my intake leak thus, likely causing my erratic up and down behavior during run time.

I replaced the intake gasket by locating the gasket to the intake ports and holding in place with RTV. I let the RTV dry and the installed.

This maybe my Bone head award of the year!

that would do it lol I took mine out for the maiden voyage and stopped at its new part time home and took a pic lol gas hungry for sure!!! but it is driving really nice so far. but it doesn't have the low end tq outer used to with the carburetor. hopefully it just needs time to adjust and since tuning.

that would do it lol I took mine out for the maiden voyage and stopped at its new part time home and took a pic lol gas hungry for sure!!!  but it is driving really nice so far.  but it doesn't have the low end tq outer used to with the carburetor.  hopefully it just needs time to adjust and since tuning.

Casperfast,

Nice! Did you install the EFI 600 version?  Please check out https://www.fitechefituning.com/ . I have account there to research the FiTech EFI.

I installed the 600 power adder

All,

After all of the hard work with the vacuum leak of the intake, got it sealed up and running. I still had the gas smell, and smoking from the exhaust side of things. I also noticed , after shut off, that a fuel vapor was coming from the top of my FiTech 400. I said, never seen that. I finally said, what the hay, let's see if the AFR is adjustable on the EFI400. Sure enough, it is. I adjusted from 14.7 to 12.1 and wow, what a difference it made. Another "Bone Head Moment here! It is the best I have the EFI 400 running on my roller 302! Now, off to the IAC and tweaking the AFR settings.

Back