Flowmaster Street Silencer

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helicopter

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang, 351 Cleveland 2bbl. vinyl roof.
I am getting close on getting the '73 Tang on the street.

I was going to try to stay "stock" all the way but I am very tempted to install a Flowmaster.

From various I am looking for a "cool" sound but not offensive.

TNX

Roy

I think the 40 series Flowmasters are a bit loud. God I am getting old I would not have said that 20 years ago LOL.. I use dual 50 series Delta flow Flowmasters on my 72 351 Cleveland with stock manifolds, 2 1/4" H-pipe and 2 1/4" pipe front to back. Fairly mellow at cruise but aggressive when your on it.

Ron

I have new pipes that are 2 1/4". Haven't bought the Flowmaster yet. can't find data on the size of the inlet.

Is the Flowmaster a direct fit? I don't want to put any adapters on it.

The Summit mufflers look and sound period correct, in my opinion great sound. You can buy the the mounting tabs from Scott Fuller Reproductions and weld them to the back of the muffler so the stock hangers can be used. Chuck

I have new pipes that are 2 1/4".  Haven't bought the Flowmaster yet.  can't find data on the size of the inlet.

Is the Flowmaster a direct fit?  I don't want to put any adapters on it.
They are a direct fit. They tuck up as nicely as the originals. I used an offset pipe inlet and center pipe outlet on my install. They do come in 2 1/4" ID inlet and outlet so no adaptors required.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
This has been hashed out many times on here in recent months and without digging through, the subject of DRONE with Flowmaster mufflers has been a big concern. My car currently has Flowmaster 40's on it, 2 1/4" dual's on an M code Mach 1 and it drones like crazy between 2K and 2500, then it goes away. If it were not for the drone, I'd keep them as they do sound great at idle and full acceleration, it's just the bit in the middle that drives me nuts and why they're going to soon be changed as the car needs new pipes anyway. I have not made the decision what will replace them, but the summit ones may be on the list, recommended by one of our Oz members if I recall, or Dynomax. Just wish I/we could try before we buy!!

Geoff.

This has been hashed out many times on here in recent months and without digging through, the subject of DRONE with Flowmaster mufflers has been a big concern. My car currently has Flowmaster 40's on it, 2 1/4" dual's on an M code Mach 1 and it drones like crazy between 2K and 2500, then it goes away. If it were not for the drone, I'd keep them as they do sound great at idle and full acceleration, it's just the bit in the middle that drives me nuts and why they're going to soon be changed as the car needs new pipes anyway. I have not made the decision what will replace them, but the summit ones may be on the list, recommended by one of our Oz members if I recall, or Dynomax. Just wish I/we could try before we buy!!

Geoff.
Stanglover, I do not find that my 50 series delta flows does not have the drone issue. 

Ron

Geoff.
Stanglover, I do not find that my 50 series delta flows does not have the drone issue. 

Ron
 Ron, it seems different people have different experiences with these mufflers. Interesting that you find the 50 series do not have that annoying drone issue though. I'm sure others will comment on this. As I said, it's a pity we can't try before we buy.

Geoff.

Ron
 Ron, it seems different people have different experiences with these mufflers. Interesting that you find the 50 series do not have that annoying drone issue though. I'm sure others will comment on this. As I said, it's a pity we can't try before we buy.
I agree sir. I researched and asked a lot of people regarding exhaust choices and experiences before I committed and was happy with the results for a change. I have heard from many people he were not happy with their shitty sounding exhausts. I think exhausts are application sensitive IE: cam,  stock manifolds vs headers, H pipe or x pipe etc. There will always be a "roll the dice" factor.   Ron

Ron
I agree sir. I researched and asked a lot of people regarding exhaust choices and experiences before I committed and was happy with the results for a change. I have heard from many people he were not happy with their shitty sounding exhausts. I think exhausts are application sensitive IE: cam,  stock manifolds vs headers, H pipe or x pipe etc. There will always be a "roll the dice" factor.   Ron
SIR, That's pushing it a bit!! lol.

I think I would agree that there are many contributing factors to the end result regarding what is a 'nice' sound and a crappy noise. My aim is for a muscular deep rumble without an overloud exhaust............ and zero drone!!

I hope this helps Helicopter with his selection.

SIR, That's pushing it a bit!! lol.

I think I would agree that there are many contributing factors to the end result regarding what is a 'nice' sound and a crappy noise. My aim is for a muscular deep rumble without an overloud exhaust............ and zero drone!!

I hope this helps Helicopter with his selection.
Agreed Sir/Stanglover. LOL. I guess that was a bit much. We are just a big exhaust system think tank trying to help others. God speed Helicopter's exhaust system. Ron

Back