FMX doesnt engage

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robsweden

Reaction score
My Car
Mach 1 73 351c
Hi

Short story:

Restored Engine 351c 2v connected back to FMX also installed a new converter, ther FMX remained int the car.

Today when putting in drive or reverse nothing happend not even the Little push you can normaly feel.

When in Park the car is not moving as it should

In drive or reverse I can move the car by pushing it.

Whats wrong here ?

Question about linkage what does the linkage from the steering column to the FMX do ? Ive changed to new ignition starter that doesnt sitt in the steering column anymore, could that been an issue ?

Can it be bypassed ?

When putting in the converter I double checked that it Went all the way in.

Could it be low on oil ?

The neutral saftey switch works as it should, reverse lights comes on.

Vacuum modulator?  vacuum is okay from engine

Out of ideas here, the transmission worked fine Before.

Regards Rob

check fluid level first as Bentworker says.

"Question about linkage what does the linkage from the steering column to the FMX do ? "

this is the mechanical anti-theft lockout, it prevents you from moving the shifter into Drive when the key is not used, if trying to steal the car, hot wiring it. it also activates the steering lock making it hard to turn the steering wheel if not using the key.

"Ive changed to new ignition starter that doesnt sitt in the steering column anymore, could that been an issue ?

Can it be bypassed ?"

if you are able to start the car and move the steering wheel freely then no. yes you could bypass the switch and disconnect the mechanical anti theft system.

"Can it effect that much ?"

yes the automatic uses hydraulic pressure to activate it's functions and requires certain internal pressure, low fluid, leaking seals, internal mechanical issues all effect its function.

fluid level must be check with engine running and fluid up to temperature, run it through the shifter gears back into park let it warm up and then inspect the dip stick for the transmission.

it must be at the correct level.

The rod from the transmission to the column is a lock-out so the transmission has to be in park before you can turn the key to off and remove it.

Torque converter to flexplate bolts replaced?

Did you fill the torque converter before installing it? It takes a lot of fluid to fill it, enough so there won't be enough fluid left for the pump to function.

Great Thanks All Il be back :)

New bolts and converter filled Before going in :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great Thanks All Il be back :)

New bolts and converter filled Before going in :)
Rob

FMX has a fluid capacity of 11 quart = 10,5 liters, most of it in the converter.

If you have filled the converter before installing it, it will be filled half.

Check the fluid level according to the manual, add the missing quarts and your FMX will work like it did before. ;)

By the way, did you use the correct fluid? :chin:

Cheers

Frank

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

I hope I got the right fluid, this what I got from the autoparts store.

Okay

will it work at all or do I need to drain Everything ?

If I have to drain, whats the fastest way to do it ?

Thanks

It won't be possible to drain it completely, there will still be a substantial quantity in the torque converter. I would go ahead and fill it and see if it will work, or not. With the transmission cold, and running, just fill it to the add line.

If the transmission still won't function I would suspect the new torque converter is the problem, as that is the only change you made to the transmission.

If it still doesn't work right you will have to pull it anyway, and you can put Type F fluid in it then.

If it does work the only way to change it to Type F will be to have it flushed and refilled.

I am not a believer in multi-use transmission fluids. They are designed for the specific materials used in each transmission, with different friction modifiers, different anti-foaming additives, etc.

Sucess for now, I filled up 3 liters and it engaged as it use to. God knews the pump is not broken. Il check the level next time with the Engine running.

I googled the oil and it looks like there is ford people using it, but probably a flush later.

Thanks for all the help.

Regards Rob

I would not change the trans fluid now. Just leave it alone. Should have used Type F. Who knows if it will mix together when you change fluids

Al

the deal with the trans fluid.....

years ago the original clutches inside the transmission were organic. the Type F fluid or type 'Ford' was designed to work with these organic clutches as there was a slicktion modifier in it.

in the late 1970s Ford switched to a man made clutch material and then also switched from Type F to Dextron fluid

All after market clutches unless you specifically go out of the way to get organic are man made modern.

now these newest clutches can also work with the original Type F fluid.

Thus with a new transmission you can use either fluid, however once filled with either one you cannot mix them.

Now since this is your car you know what fluid you put into the transmission, however in the future a new owner will assume Type F as that is what the car is spec'd to use so you will need to make a note of what fluid goes into the transmission, from now on.

the fluid is absorbed into the clutch material as it is porous so changing fluid at this point will be a total rebuild to get all of the old trans fluid out.

Now that said stick with what you put into the trans and don't worry about it until you have a major issue with the transmission then you can have the option once again of putting what you want into the transmission.

Now Type F must be used in the steering system of the 71-73 mustang as the foaming and expansion of the fluid was worked into the steering pump and line pressures to run the power steering system, in that case do not use Steering Fluid, just use Type F

glad to hear you were just low on fluids.

Back