Ford's new ICE investments

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not at all sure if it's fact or fiction, but I watched a couple of YouTube videos on a swing back towards hydrogen engines and hydrogen fuel cells. One was Toyota developing both and the other believe it or not, was Tesla. Musk stated he would never go to hydrogen, but appears to be backtracking. It was also very interesting that he is also shifting away from rare earth minerals in electric motors, opting for more sustainable and totally redesigned electric motor that gives more power and cheaper to produce.
Toyota have been working on hydrogen fuel cells and/or hydrogen engines since the early 80's. I've been to trade shows (SAE) and seen this in person. The question is why has it taken sooo long to get to this point?
In my career in developing automotive air induction prototypes, which includes air filtration, intake manifolds and noise suppression, I've witnessed massive changes toward a more efficient ICE, but I have to wonder IF ICE engines have been kept at the forefront due to influence from the big oil companies.
Personally, the only real problem I have with electric powered vehicles, is the use of Lithium batteries and all the BS we're getting shoved down our throats about how "clean" they are. Lithium mining and production is possibly far more contaminating than any oil production, not that oil is without it's problems too.
Just my thoughts on the subject.

I'm not at all sure if it's fact or fiction, but I watched a couple of YouTube videos on a swing back towards hydrogen engines and hydrogen fuel cells. One was Toyota developing both and the other believe it or not, was Tesla. Musk stated he would never go to hydrogen, but appears to be backtracking. It was also very interesting that he is also shifting away from rare earth minerals in electric motors, opting for more sustainable and totally redesigned electric motor that gives more power and cheaper to produce.
Toyota have been working on hydrogen fuel cells and/or hydrogen engines since the early 80's. I've been to trade shows (SAE) and seen this in person. The question is why has it taken sooo long to get to this point?
In my career in developing automotive air induction prototypes, which includes air filtration, intake manifolds and noise suppression, I've witnessed massive changes toward a more efficient ICE, but I have to wonder IF ICE engines have been kept at the forefront due to influence from the big oil companies.
Personally, the only real problem I have with electric powered vehicles, is the use of Lithium batteries and all the BS we're getting shoved down our throats about how "clean" they are. Lithium mining and production is possibly far more contaminating than any oil production, not that oil is without it's problems too.
Just my thoughts on the subject.
As someone who has looked into EVs as a possible daily driver alternative because of their low-maintenance and high-efficiency nature, I still get turned off by a few factors. Environmental damage from lithium mining, the slave labor to produce it, EV infrastructure, software issues, the danger of lithium fires, lithium disposal, etc. To me, it's a technology with great potential, but one that isn't ready enough to be pushed as hard as it is by the government (that in itself is another red flag).
I think after the initial hype, consumers are starting to realize the massive shortcomings of EVs and that's why demand is falling steeply. Automakers are clearly seeing the trend and scaling back on EV development. Oil has its issues, but it's still the best option we have. Plus now that we have synthetic fuels coming down the pipeline, it makes keeping ICE around even more tempting. There's still potential to be unlocked with ICEs while EV tech gets perfected enough to be a viable replacement/companion.
Hydrogen is a whole other can of worms, but I think it's a good thing that manufacturers are exploring every possible way to get cars down the road. We just need the government to let the market decide instead of making the decisions for us.

As someone who has looked into EVs as a possible daily driver alternative because of their low-maintenance and high-efficiency nature, I still get turned off by a few factors. Environmental damage from lithium mining, the slave labor to produce it, EV infrastructure, software issues, the danger of lithium fires, lithium disposal, etc. To me, it's a technology with great potential, but one that isn't ready enough to be pushed as hard as it is by the government (that in itself is another red flag).
I think after the initial hype, consumers are starting to realize the massive shortcomings of EVs and that's why demand is falling steeply. Automakers are clearly seeing the trend and scaling back on EV development. Oil has its issues, but it's still the best option we have. Plus now that we have synthetic fuels coming down the pipeline, it makes keeping ICE around even more tempting. There's still potential to be unlocked with ICEs while EV tech gets perfected enough to be a viable replacement/companion.
Hydrogen is a whole other can of worms, but I think it's a good thing that manufacturers are exploring every possible way to get cars down the road. We just need the government to let the market decide instead of making the decisions for us.
I totally agree.

Back