Front Disc Brake Installation problem

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikepasquale1

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Mach 1
Purchased new rotors through CJPony

Have a brand new set of calipers from an old restoration laying around that i bought on ebay about 4 years ago. they look and measure up identical to the originals. They came with new pads. New bearings and seals in the rotors. The caliper pistons are fully compressed.

Went to install the caliper and the pads dont fit over the rotor. I had to tap it on with a hammer its that tight. I was told to have the rotor cue after the pads and calipers were looked at by my mechanic friend. I couldnt even turn the wheel freely after installation

Cut .10's off of the back of the rotor??

Purchased new rotors through CJPony

Have a brand new set of calipers from an old restoration laying around that i bought on ebay about 4 years ago. they look and measure up identical to the originals. They came with new pads. New bearings and seals in the rotors. The caliper pistons are fully compressed.

Went to install the caliper and the pads dont fit over the rotor. I had to tap it on with a hammer its that tight. I was told to have the rotor cue after the pads and calipers were looked at by my mechanic friend. I couldnt even turn the wheel freely after installation

Cut .10's off of the back of the rotor??
I had the same thing happen when I put my front end back together. I bought the pads at NAPA and asked the counterman about it and he said they've had pads that are made thicker than original. I solved it by grinding material off the pads. I figured they were cheaper and easier to replace in the future.

Steve

It's been my experience that when they seem too tight, the pistons have just a little more to give. I know you used a hammer but that doesn't move the piston. Try getting some more leverage on those pistons and see if you can move them a couple more thousanths.

I did that. The pistons are completely compressed. I also was thinking about putting the pads on a belt sander and removing some material

I'd take the material off of the pads. why cut your brand new rotors and end up with less material than you started with? I always sacrifice the cheapest item in these situations. In this case, the pads get cut down.

Back