Frustrating day

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosdelacruz

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang MACH 1
Yesterday i got my block and rods etc. back from the machine shop, they did all the work including hone,bore, and install cam bearings. I began to install the motor this morning and everything went smooth as can be. Did the rods, pistons, crank, bearings etc. when i went to install my camshaft i found out that my new cam wont go into the last bearing. i tried to spin it and everything and it wouldnt spin or go any further. i thought i would try putting in the old cam i had and it did the same, so i know it's not the cam. my question is after installing all the bottom end, do i need to take it completley apart to put new cam bearings in it? Any idea what can be done? thanks

No you should be able to change them out or bring back to the machine shop and ask wtf

Thanks, ill forsure go backe Tuesday to discuss the problem with him. Do u know if he is going to have to take everything apart or can he just pound them out and put new ones in?

It is possible the bearing is either mushroomed slightly from installation or cocked in the bore.
+1 to that..My freinds 350 chev we worked on had a cam bearring cocked a bit ..He ended up having to tap it back in place him self...The company he got the motor from went out of bis before he could install the motor..So no way to get anyone to fix it but us..lol

It is possible the bearing is either mushroomed slightly from installation or cocked in the bore.
Yep, that's my guess. They can remove the pesky bearing without bothering the bottom end. Again, I'd take the cam, timing chain and gear, and timing cover and have them do all that before you bring her back home.

I had the same problem with my new cam. I built the engine at school and when I went to install the cam it wouldn't go in all of the way. The instructor had me get a second set of cam bearings and had the same problem. I talked to the owner of Auto Machine in St.Charles, Il. about the problem. He has been in business for a long time and builds a lot of race motors. He said for some reason he has seen this problem on Ford and Chrysler engines. He had me pull the engine back apart and use a very fine emery paper on the bearing and follow up with a green scrubby. I followed his directions and rewashed the engine. The cam went in the way it was supposed to and turned freely.

Jim

I had the same problem with my new cam. I built the engine at school and when I went to install the cam it wouldn't go in all of the way. The instructor had me get a second set of cam bearings and had the same problem. I talked to the owner of Auto Machine in St.Charles, Il. about the problem. He has been in business for a long time and builds a lot of race motors. He said for some reason he has seen this problem on Ford and Chrysler engines. He had me pull the engine back apart and use a very fine emery paper on the bearing and follow up with a green scrubby. I followed his directions and rewashed the engine. The cam went in the way it was supposed to and turned freely.

Jim
Well, there ya go. I borrowed a cam bearing tool and went through two sets before I threw in the white flag and bought a third set and took the whole shebang back to the builder and had him finish the short block. Shoulda done it from the get go. Cost me another $200 or so but when I got it back, everything was buttoned up all I had to do was bolt on the heads, intake, carb, etc, etc, and it was all smooth sailing from there on out.

Just my experience.....

Back