Fuel Tank

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtassin

Reaction score
My Car
1972 ford mustang Mach 1
Hey guys. Getting my 72 mach 1 back from the paint shop this week. Planning to start installing new suspension. Question is when is the best time to install the fuel tank? Before or after the rear suspension? Also there is a some type of material installed between the fuel tank & trunk floor. What is it and where can I get it? Someone @ a car show suggested to me to use 30# roofing felt. Is there any pitfalls that I should be looking for when installing fuel tank & rear suspension?

Thanks

i don't think it matters if you do it before or after. I would go with after, just so that if I happened to whack the tank by accident i put a dent in the old one.

Factory had a 2 pads on top of the tank.

It looks like a heavy roofing felt, closest thing you will find is 30# roofing felt.

It should not hold moisture as it is tar / asphalt coated, it will keep the tank from sliding around.

It looks like a heavy roofing felt, closest thing you will find is 30# roofing felt.

It should not hold moisture as it is tar / asphalt coated, it will keep the tank from sliding around.
Thats what I like about this site.learn something new everyday.

Thats what I like about this site.learn something new everyday.
Ditto! I've known my 73 Convertible since it rolled out of the dealership on Day 1 and have all the dealer service records (was girlfriends car). When I removed the tank a few years ago there was not any pad between the tank and trunk floor! I wonder if this was an assembly line variation. My experience is just with one car, so I defer to Don's expertise!

Last edited by a moderator:
My 71 had some of it still stuck to the tank when I pulled it off last year and the original looked just like roofing tar paper. My tank looked new where the insulators were so I knew exactly the size I needed to cut and there was a left and right piece. The original was thicker than the roofing tar paper so I ended up folding it in half. Worked out great and keeps the tank from rubbing against the trunk floor pan. Also acts like and sound dedener insulator. About your rearend job. The tank will not be in the way. You can have it installed before or after, however, since you have them all out, then it's best to install it last.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys,

I've been in the process of restoring my mustang for three years now. This site is the best there is when researching info on the 71-73 models. I can't tell you the number of times I have referred to this site to answer my questions. Keep it up! The best info comes from you guys; owners & restorers of this model. I myself will try to contribute as much as I can by either offering info or hopefully asking questions that will get the info posted here so it can be used by all.

Thanks again,

Jimmy T

Don is 100% correct. All of my cars that I pulled the tank on had the two pads.

If your pads are missing, it's because they were forgotten on the assembly line, or left off when the tank was R&R'd at some point in it's life.

excellent detail info.. too bad i didn't know about it at the time i installed my new tank. my car had already had the tank changed before so the tar paper was long gone.

OUTSTANDING question and post, Jimmy!

A number of us have learned something "new" or that we may have overlooked/forgotten during our restoring/refurbishing efforts:).

THANKS, Don for the timely and "spot on" response!!

BT

+1 On the felt strips. I also would put the tank in last,to give yourself lot's of room.

Back