Gas Smell

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach1 4spd Qcode Now: 427C Titus CHI top end TKO600 4whl disc
I know several forum members mention and complain about gas vapors in their garage and around their Mustangs. No surprise many of our Stangs no longer have the factory vapor canister setup.
Just as an FYI I came across this universal vapor capture system, (No personal experience with it):

https://www.vaportrapper.com/product

I know several forum members mention and complain about gas vapors in their garage and around their Mustangs. No surprise many of our Stangs no longer have the factory vapor canister setup.
Just as an FYI I came across this universal vapor capture system, (No personal experience with it):

https://www.vaportrapper.com/product
$300 for the basic canister? No thanks!

$300 for the basic canister? No thanks!
Hello! I run this guy, it's an AC delco part. Had to modify the stock vapor canister mount alittle but it fits in the stock location. Uses the line running from the tank and one line to ported manifold vacuum. Works great, no smell and readily available. Just an FYI to anyone looking to other alternatives.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-215-153

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240901_082606_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240901_082606_Chrome.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 1
I know my '71 J-Code Mach 1 definitely has a strong gas smell in the garage after shutting it down. Dissipates after a little while and I also run a exhaust vent in the garage. My vapor canister is not there and I'm not sure about the line from the tank to the firewall.

Ripper deal Ripper679. Just ordered one and it cost $165AUD delivered.
Bought on from West Coast Classics and it cost me $205AUD delivered.
And this is what I got:

View attachment 92608View attachment 92609
Wow...

I've always had reasonably good experience with WCC - what condition/grade did they claim it was in? Looks like this should have been down in the D, E or F area... probably closer to F.

If this was supposed to be anything close to driver quality, I would tell them they need to make it right.

From their website:

Product Condition Grades​

Below is a general description of what the criteria is for our product condition grades. These are generalizations that are intended to give you an idea of the condition of the product at a quick glance. Because different parts degrade at different rates, there are variances in what the letters represent, please see the products description for details about the condition of any particular product.

A = Excellent / Above Average
B = Average / Some flaws / Good to Excellent Driver Quality
C = Obvious flaws / Poor to Average Driver Quality
D, E, F = Worse, Worser, Worsest

Over the years I had a few smelly guys. A bad basket at the tank. there were fuel fumes in my trunk and of course outside. The breathers. I used to have open breathers "mushrooms" and at some point, the foam inside them, after many quick downs and right foot to floor, fills up with oils and fuel residues. The rear axle vent tube that can lead to nasty smell in garage or cabine if placed too low. And of course a too rich carb than will ensure that your garage smells " mustang" for ages after you the shut the engine down. Usually this last case often comes with certain death if you'd stay more than 3 minutes breathing next to your car warming up in the garage, which was the case when I was running a 650 dp Holley.

I used to get a lot of gas smell in the garage, but while this did not solve all the problem, it definitely helped.
I believe a lot of this issue can be solved with proper timing and carb tuning. Also I'm pretty sure quite a bit of the smell emits from the carb vent tube when it's hot. My car does have a vapor canister, but does it work? No idea, but it's there.

Hi 71coop, I have to admit that I didn't know about the 'condition codes' and so I wasn't programmed to look for any. I guess I was under a puerile impression that people wouldn't sell something that was irretrievable; unless you had the talent of Fabrice I suppose we should make sure that we are talking about the same company because I would hate to think I was maligning the innocent.
West Coast Classic Cougar, Inc.
If it is a different company I apologize profusely.

@Vern Cook I just see your canister picts on bigger monitor, (on phone it looked like yellow paint dots). Wow, that's unbelievable!
For what it's worth. Extra vacuum brakes tanks do come in many shapes & sizes and have all have the fittings you need and could act as the original canister with minor mods. Most I see within first results are ranging from $38 to 60. If you're after the original look. A local welder could shorten it to make it look like your "aired" piece. You could also pay a visit to your local air or hydraulic shops as small canisters are used in these fields for many applications.

s-l1600.jpg

Hi 71coop, I have to admit that I didn't know about the 'condition codes' and so I wasn't programmed to look for any. I guess I was under a puerile impression that people wouldn't sell something that was irretrievable; unless you had the talent of Fabrice I suppose we should make sure that we are talking about the same company because I would hate to think I was maligning the innocent.
West Coast Classic Cougar, Inc.
If it is a different company I apologize profusely.
One and the same

Latest posts

Back