Gas Type

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Coupe
I took this picture a few days ago and forgot to I post this. Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but this is the first time I've noticed this type of gas.

Would this be better to use in the Mustang because it is ethanol free?

uploadfromtaptalk1398825161739.jpg

Please let me know... thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

My internet understanding is the ethanol burns cleaner than regular gas. It also increases the octane rating (it burns slower) but that doesn't seem to be a factor since both have an octane of 87. Gallon for gallon ethanol has less power potential than 'regular gas' so performance and gas milage may both go down. Some older carbs may have gaskets and such that can be corroded bythe ethanol.

Gas with ethanol will tend to vapor lock sooner. I also understand it is more likely to attract water vapor.

Personally, if I had a choice, I would avoid it for our cars. What is the price difference?

The local 10% ethanol blend had an octane rating of 89 until about a year ago then for some reason changed to 87. The only problem I had running the ethanol blend in my older carburated fords was the umbrella shaped rubber check valve for the accelerator pump would deteriorate after about a year.

Two issues with ethanol...

1 it attracts water.

2 it attacks certain types of rubber.

Newer carbs probably have a good tolerance to the ethanol, but it will damage older ones by earting away the rubber.

I don't get it. If ethanol has those bad issues like eating gaskets, then this new stuff would be better because its ethanol free, right?

My internet understanding is the ethanol burns cleaner than regular gas. It also increases the octane rating (it burns slower) but that doesn't seem to be a factor since both have an octane of 87. Gallon for gallon ethanol has less power potential than 'regular gas' so performance and gas milage may both go down. Some older carbs may have gaskets and such that can be corroded bythe ethanol.

Gas with ethanol will tend to vapor lock sooner. I also understand it is more likely to attract water vapor.

Personally, if I had a choice, I would avoid it for our cars. What is the price difference?
Sorry... Forgot to add that... When I took that picture it was $4.12 per gallon. Big difference. I don't drive my car that much, maybe using this gas every other fill up could help clean my carb up?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I have run the ethanol free gas before. Couldn't really tell a difference but they claim it wont tear up rubber fuel lines and carb components like the ethanol fuel will. My dad only runs the ethanol free stuff in his weedeater, lawnmower and stuff like that to help save the rubber diaphragm fuel pumps in them.

On a side note, My buddy works at a Chebby dealership and he said they had 2 newer impalas come in the service department this winter that wouldn't run at all. After a lot of messing around for 2 days a 3rd vehicle came in with the same issue. After talking to the owners it was determined that they all filled up their tanks at the same gas station down the road. It was middle of winter so the ethanol concentrations were higher here. The pumps said up to 10% ethanol blend, but when the fuel in the tanks of the cars were checked they had between 19-21% ethanol in them. They wouldn't even run. Once the tanks were drained and filled with new gas they ran fine again. Atleast this is what I have been told. So just be careful with the ethanol blends in the winter.

Also my wifes 2009 Mercury Mariner started to drop MPG over the winter. Almost 3 MPG loss. My buddy that's a ,ford master tech, told me that its the winter GAS. Now that its spring seems like its on its way back up. All the winter fuel blend is being refilled with the summer blend. We are almost back to were it should be.

Here in Phoenix I don't have a choice at the pump. All gas has 10% ethanol. It hasn't eaten up my carbs but they are all Holley's and the three on the Mustang were rebuilt.

I did find out there is a gas station that sells 110 octane for $7.50 a gallon. I assume it doesn't have ethanol. I am going to go check it out. I might mix some of that with the 'regular ethanol' gas.

All I know is on winter my truck struggles to get 340 miles to a tank. In the summer its 420 with a/c on. I fill my stangs tank before winter hit and just start it occasionally every few weeks until spring.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk

From an article:

Ethanol can act as a solvent in your fuel system. Although this is generally not a problem for newer cars, ethanol can degrade rubber hoses and gaskets in older cars, causing them to leak.

Ethanol contains less energy content, or BTU’s (British Thermal Units – a measure of energy), than gasoline. Thus, your miles per gallon are less. The difference can depend on your vehicle.

Lastly, ethanol loves moisture. In straight gasoline, if water moisture is present, it will separate from the fuel and sink to the bottom of the fuel tank. If enough water builds up, it will cause a problem, but it can easily be siphoned out. For ethanol-containing fuel, however, the water moisture is absorbed by the ethanol and remains in suspension within the tank. This can make it difficult to completely remove the water without losing the fuel as well.

I use ethanol free 92 octane gas for the reasons above plus I believe adding ethanol to our fuel ends up doing more actual harm to our food supplies, engines, economy and environment than it offers in return. So I pay the extra 20 cents a gallon for the ethanol free fuel to do my part for the world.

Back